Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  178
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Voodoo Magic" SEMA Build - Day 42 - Done - Let's go to SEMA

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"Voodoo Magic" SEMA Build - Day 42 - Done - Let's go to SEMA

Well, we are going to certainly need some voodoo - SEMA is the end of Oct. - beginning of Nov - I don't even have the first piece of the truck....but hang on - here we go... This will the be the new "stretched" cab version of the 35 truck with a Voodoo Motor and TKX tranny - ya know just a simple shop truck As always will document the build here so you can take a "quick" trip with me. I will do all the pictures as I am done each day - this go around I might see if I can also add in some video and planning for each day.... I seemed to asked the question every time I see you guys on how I get done so fast... so maybe I can show some of that "live" and you can see what my recipe is and what works for me. Not saying it is the best method and I certainly don't stop and smell the roses as I go....

I will start tomorrow with what I have already done in prep for this build and I am pretty sure that most will be surprised on what isn't on the list....

So far we are on track 9-10 weeks to heading out to SEMA and the kit isn't even on the way - seems about right -

Combat Gear - check
    New gloves - check
    Tool Batteries charging - check
    Work bench cleaned - ummm .... "pending"
    Start Pestering Wayne Presley for ideas and parts - check

Work bay clear of Wife's car to be set outside in the Alabama Summer Sun - will take her out for Dinner this weekend - check

more to follow tomorrow with actual details -

Will need to start a pool for when first start on the Voodoo engine will be....

ready, steady........ GO!
    Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 10-25-2022 at 01:12 AM.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I love the ambition and can’t wait to follow along on your journey.
    Respectfully
    Jeremie

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik, you sir are the definition of an optimist given the times we are living in. That being said (and as you have demonstrated) if anybody can do the build in the allotted time, it's you!

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    ET-

I look forward to following along, if I can keep up with you! HAHA

It's going to be another great build. If we can do anything to help, let us know! I appreciate what you do!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik -- Looking forward to this build. Not just because I know it will be epic. But also very interested in seeing the new stretched truck. Good luck with the timeline. Wouldn't work with my snail's pace. But I'm sure you're up for it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can The Truck Be Called Marie Instead?

https://youtu.be/UyNYL2lUSMs?list=RDUyNYL2lUSMs
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-25-2022 at 10:31 AM.

8. Likes Gbeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Can The Truck Be Called Marie Instead?

https://youtu.be/UyNYL2lUSMs?list=RDUyNYL2lUSMs
    Marie Laveau

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffShod View Post
    Marie Laveau
    Yep, and her resting place is in New Orleans as you'd expect.

12. Likes chuckster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to Google maps it's a 26 hour drive from Huntsville to Las Vegas.

So that means the 35 has to leave the morning of Oct 31st at the very latest.

That's 67 days starting tomorrow morning...
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    No major updates. .. had to work all day....

I did order brake lines that are a little easier to work with
    and with the Eastwood flare tool.. it's definitely cheating.
    I also just found a link on how to adapt a ford control pack to a voodoo engine....hopefully that was good find and it works.
    Discussed a plan on how the painter can still make schedule ... the critical part is door fitment and power window operation....

We landed on that he will start on the bed while I mount cab and get the doors fitted.... then get him the body.

Once he has all the body pieces will roll up the sleeves and get to drivetrain .

Will do hydraulic clutch so that decision is done
    Wheel and tire are set as of today I believe

Quickly marking prep items off the list....

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

15. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That’s it! I’m moving to Huntsville AL so I can hang out with this cool dude!

Post Thanks / Like
    Best of luck with the timeline. After 4 months I'm still waiting on the steering column and grill for my truck.

Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    you'll get your stuff - for SEMA Builds we don't wait on back orders

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    Well, we are going to certainly need some voodoo - SEMA is the end of Oct. - beginning of Nov - I don't even have the first piece of the truck....but hang on - here we go... This will the be the new "stretched" cab version of the 35 truck with a Voodoo Motor and TKX tranny - ya know just a simple shop truck As always will document the build here so you can take a "quick" trip with me. I will do all the pictures as I am done each day - this go around I might see if I can also add in some video and planning for each day.... I seemed to asked the question every time I see you guys on how I get done so fast... so maybe I can show some of that "live" and you can see what my recipe is and what works for me. Not saying it is the best method and I certainly don't stop and smell the roses as I go....

I will start tomorrow with what I have already done in prep for this build and I am pretty sure that most will be surprised on what isn't on the list....

So far we are on track 9-10 weeks to heading out to SEMA and the kit isn't even on the way - seems about right -

Combat Gear - check
    New gloves - check
    Tool Batteries charging - check
    Work bench cleaned - ummm .... "pending"
    Start Pestering Wayne Presley for ideas and parts - check

Work bay clear of Wife's car to be set outside in the Alabama Summer Sun - will take her out for Dinner this weekend - check

more to follow tomorrow with actual details -

Will need to start a pool for when first start on the Voodoo engine will be....

ready, steady........ GO!
    I'm in Huntsville too! Where are yall located and can I come by and see the work and possibly sit in the truck cab? I've been trying to figure out if I can fit in one or not and I don't think anyone else around here actually has FFR's truck? I was hoping to be the first, but you beat me to it

Well, if you don't mind me coming by sometime, you can let me know through the thread or shoot me a PM please?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    absolutely - once I get the truck ...... you are welcome by anytime!

21. Likes Mirage775 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    absolutely - once I get the truck ...... you are welcome by anytime!
    Yea, I noticed that you didn't have it yet... Assuming you get it this week, is it going to be finished before SEMA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sending good vibes in your direction! Can't wait to see it progress, Erik!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Woohoo, going to enjoy watching this. It's a toss up between the truck and the roadster next....

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage775 View Post
    Yea, I noticed that you didn't have it yet... Assuming you get it this week, is it going to be finished before SEMA?
    Well that's the plan if I get it soon. .

Post Thanks / Like
    No real updates - truck hasn't arrived as of this morning ---- but I understand it is now on the way and the hands of Superman - The Honey Badger as he is known by many. Will be good to catch up with him. All parts are sitting in "shopping carts" and "wish lists" - so as soon as I see what's there are what isn't - will hit the BUY button and drive on. For sure what I know I am missing is the rear axle and wheels and tires... fortunately there are 352 other things that can get done.. I have the the flare tool out and in the vise along with the brake line I use... I have 4 brand new 9/64 drill bits a tube of urethane for the aluminum... I just bought all the fluids for the car as well- so that's done... filled the fridge in the garage with drinks and other things. I also spoke to me Painter/coater - he is all set and has plenty of powder on hand - will plan on having everything in his hands on Tuesday. ... anyway more to follow this weekend!

Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 09-02-2022 at 10:03 AM.

27. Thanks Salty Chief 35 thanked for this post
    Likes Chopper, WIS89 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well that's the plan if I get it soon. .

We Know You Can Do It!
    .........Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ready ------- GO!

30. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    following with interest, tuff deadline but sure you will do it

Post Thanks / Like
    Day one complete - will probably do my normal late night "small stuff" stuff while everyone is sleeping...

Bed is on, gas tank in, everything went to the coaters, firewall fitted and sent off and wilwood assy installed.

overall not a bad way to start.... did my inventory using the manual - really missed the packing list - funny you don't realize how much you use it until you don't have it - and I believer this kit was packed under the "new" system - so some of the boxes got re-numbered (nobody likes change I know) - but overall it wasn't that bad - gotta say. Nothing damage either. Anyway - I could type this all out - but man I was flying around the truck today - Wayne would have had fun with me as tried to see both sides of the truck at the same time trying to get the gaps on the bed all right....but it's all square.... anyway I did a post day 1 video - hopefully this approach is better than the typical novel and still pictures....

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there anything you can’t do??
    I have no idea how you can take care of your, “day job”, family, all of life’s daily surprises AND build this truck within the given time frame. On top of everything else, you’re making videos of your process and progress for the community to learn from or simply enjoy watching. Incredible.
    Best of luck! (But I know you won’t need it)
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mark - well that list of things I can't do is quite long unfortunately ..... lol... ask Wayne about me and draining and filling cars with fluids..... anyway - just time management and planning in my sleep and in the down time.... i get pretty focused during these things which actually helps me mentally..... anyway - it appears someone got up early this morning and dry fit one door in the hole already...... guess I will have to do the other one after dinner....

I like to do it while the body is still kinda free to move around and so I can move the body to fit the shape of the door.... right now as it sits it appears to be flush all the way around... a good sign....so far...

35. Likes mburger, jayguy, octobersknight, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More progress today - moving forward on the doors - had to work at my day job so only got a few hours on it today.....

37. Likes Chopper, octobersknight, jayguy, FF33rod, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Day 3 - not too much - some real small stuff - tried to keep the video short - might find interesting what you can do in those days you can't commit a lot of time to the project....

anyway -

39. Likes Chopper, slarson, WIS89, jayguy, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Progress continues - a little slow yesterday and today because of my normal job - but still knocking things out.... made some pretty good progress today given the time I had to work on the truck.

41. Likes Salty Chief 35, Geoff H, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    E,
    Really enjoying and appreciating the updates. It should also serve as great inspiration to some of the newer builders who believe that they can’t do anything due to back orders—-there’s always something that can be done

Carry on Buddy!

Jeff

43. Likes narly1, Geoff H, McGuyver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we should start a Go Fund Me account to get Erik a window A/C unit for his garage! The humidity and mosquitoes would sure slow me down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jeff - I am glad that message is coming through in the videos - I hope this helps others along the way when obstacles appear in the build process.... the path from start to finish isn't always a straight line.... it's the journey and not the destination - so enjoy!
    Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 09-09-2022 at 08:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Day 5 on the truck - what started out to be only very small progress today ended up quite far along on the punch list for the weekend..... I am actually back on schedule I think and maybe a little ahead.... see ya tomorrow!

47. Likes Chopper, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Day 6 complete - long aggressive day - long video means I got a ton done! - we are basically ready to go to the body shop tomorrow.....have to load it up mid day tomorrow... I did the video a little differently this time (see what you think) - I did incremental videos for the steps along the way and then a recap video at the end - instead of just a recap... it's a longer video that way but it shows you some of the steps - might do a few like this - let me know which you prefer.

49. Likes Gbeck, Chopper, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Erik! Still checking in every morning for a progress report. It’s nice to see that we share some of the same processes and shortcuts (…and also terminology like “waller”…and the ability to lose/misplace hardware )

Great progress!

Jeff

51. Thanks Salty Chief 35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Jeff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Enjoy this thread and videos. One problem though, you make this look way too easy. I mean, you are essentially building a SEMA worthy truck in 6 weeks… just WOW!!!
    Keep up the good work,
    Jeremie

Post Thanks / Like
    Day 7 - chassis and body off to the painter.

55. Likes Pat Landymore, Chopper liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast