Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FLFrank's '35 Hot Rod Truck Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another truck update

Installed the floor, driveshaft, exhaust system...

IMG_0350.JPG IMG_3655.JPG IMG_3660.JPG IMG_3663.JPG IMG_3670.JPG 60607315508__1E0A8EA7-0F3C-4180-84A1-4CCB6DBD6585.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG IMG_0388.JPG IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0395.JPG Side note: The manual says to bolt the exhaust pipe mounts through the frame, but the problem I found is that the bolt would be protruding through the cab floor. So I used 3/4" long, stainless steel, sheet metal, flanged screws to attach the mounts to the bottom of the frame tubes. Also, most of the pipes are 2-1/4" and the supplied brackets fit fine, but the turn-down tips are 2-1/2" so I got some good hanging brackets from Summit...and I undercoated the bottom with Dupli-Color Bed Armor.
    Last edited by FLFrank35; 03-29-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Installed the Grill/Radiator

IMG_0360.jpg IMG_0399.JPG IMG_0400.JPG IMG_0402.JPGHere is where I discovered that if you drill the mount/tab holes as directed, the radiator outflow sits lower than the frame bracket. So I raised the radiator frame mounting brackets a little...hope it holds
    IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0413.JPG IMG_0414.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank....can you drill and roll pin those brackets....so it wont slide down?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffShod View Post
    Frank....can you drill and roll pin those brackets....so it wont slide down?
    Thanks for the suggestion but I’m not sure what you mean

I’ve tightened the bolts, but haven’t torqued yet, and it seems to hold. The bottom radiator hose is resting on the frame bracket...hopefully it won’t slide down but I know that’s not ideal.

There is another hole on the frame, above the control arm bolt. I may be able to use that, but it looks pretty tight.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just thinkin out loud....

Slotted holes wont move anymore if you drill a hole near the slot and put a roll pin or bolt in it. Kind of like a bumper bracket. Adjust it to where it needs to be....and then immobilize it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My truck is still in boxes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll study it and see how that might work.

Good luck unpacking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My time got temporarily diverted to another project but I'm back in the shop. I got buried in the wiring so I haven't been keeping up on the progress, but here are more pictures.

IMG_0435.JPG60893985871__DD17D1CF-7414-4ABF-8985-1898C0467F14.JPG A layer of DynaMat Xtreme, then DynaLiner IMG_0421.JPG IMG_0422.JPG
    The a/c unitIMG_0423.JPG I attached the valve bracket under the unit in the cab IMG_0426.JPG
    I didn't want the filler in the bed because I just know I'll end up stilling it in the bed. IMG_0449.JPG IMG_0450.JPG
    The transmission fluid cooler IMG_0455.JPG IMG_0456.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The in-tank fuel pump with -6AN fittings, supply and return IMG_0474.JPG IMG_0480.jpg IMG_0483.JPG
    Started the wiring IMG_0524.JPG IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0774.JPG
    The Lokar Electronic Sport Shifter IMG_0824(1).JPG And trying something with the leftover diamond plate from the firewall IMG_0837(1).JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another update...

I got the loop suggested by some, from Summit. Solid piece of metal. It's a tight fit but I rotated the shaft and it clears with some room for movement.
    IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0914.JPG

Wrapped the mufflers...
    IMG_0940.JPG Test fit the tunnel...IMG_0951.JPG Got the Lokar Elecronic Sport Shifter. It's a nice piece of equipment and there are many ways to mount it. But the problem I had was this...it's designed to be floor-mounted. The problem with that is that the cable goes aft, and if I mounted it on top of the tunnel, the cable would be above the seat. Well that wouldn't work so I tried to make a trans mounted bracket but I couldn't figure that out. So I mounted it on the tunnel, just low enough for the cable to pass between the tunnel and the safety loop and through the floor. It's a pain-in-the-a** and I hope I don't have to remove the tunnel or the shifter, EVER, but it seems to work...so far.
    IMG_0826(1).JPG

Installed the battery. Like everything else in this truck, it's a tight fit. I tried and I have no idea how I would get the battery out from under the bed once the build is complete. I imaged disconnecting the terminals from underneath and rotating the battery in every direction. Rather than become a contortionist I plan to put an access panel in the bed similar to rponfick.
    IMG_0835.JPG Added some aluminum to the cab...IMG_0960.JPG

Installed the gas pedal. Got a Lokar stainless steel braided cable and bracket. The cable was easy to cut to length.
    IMG_0974.JPG IMG_0975.JPG

Hope to start it next week.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking Good!
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

12. Thanks FLFrank35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great pictures. I added driveshaft safety loop to my list too. I am not an expert but should they be mounted a little further back to catch the driveshaft if the u-joint yoke fails?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver View Post
    Great pictures. I added driveshaft safety loop to my list too. I am not an expert but should they be mounted a little further back to catch the driveshaft if the u-joint yoke fails?
    Thanks! I studied the placement for 2 days, and I did look at putting it farther back, but I ended up putting it where I did with the idea that it will shield against any flying pieces of the u-joint, if it comes apart. I have the u-joint perfectly centered under the loop. Also, the top end of the shaft yoke (I guess that's what it's called) is under the loop. In addition, it seems that if the shaft somehow backed out from the loop, the frame's built-in loop and the opening in the frame should also restrict it.

It's a solid piece of metal and only $28 at Summit, so I guess 2 could be installed for ultimate protection and it fits almost perfectly under the tunnel. I did have to cut a small hole in the side of the tunnel to accommodate the loop's bolts but doesn't seem to be a problem.

And I don't know for sure how effective it is, but I applied some Kevlar and carbon fiber to the underside of the tunnel.

Good luck,
    Frank

15. Likes McGuyver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea about bring the fuel filler out the side of the bed. I may change that as I don’t have my bed wood in yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck35truck View Post
    Great idea about bring the fuel filler out the side of the bed. I may change that as I don’t have my bed wood in yet.
    Thanks! I know it would only be a matter of time before I spilled gas in the bed, in addition to the chance of rain/water or other debris getting into the filler neck.
    I got the 90 degree hose and the coupler from Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/TNK-NE-90, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/TNK-FC-200

I think I like it there. It was a little tricky pouring gas from a can (with a short nozzle). A funnel or can with a long and flexible nozzle would be helpful. It might be easier from a gas pump (I haven't tried that yet).

Good luck,
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have ignition!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks!
    Last edited by FLFrank35; 09-08-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a go-cart!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job!! Now comes the fun dusty job with the body.
    Good luck. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet Sounds awesome. Now as Rob says...let the fun begin!

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! I am detecting a tone which tells me it's NOT going to be fun. But, hey, in for a penny...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FLFrank35 View Post
    Thanks! I am detecting a tone which tells me it's NOT going to be fun. But, hey, in for a penny...
    LOL. There are portions that were a bit challenging. Having chopped mine I created a bunch more work. The door alignment and radiator cowl alignment to hood were the hardest for me. And judging from other posts most had the same experience. I ended up cutting and doing major mods to get the cowl in alignment. After a lot of trial and error I have the doors figured out. If you have trouble with them drop me a message and I can go over what I found to be a pretty easy method to get them flush at all corners and lined up with the body moldings. They may have it in the manual by know but I know the first ones we all had a bit of a struggle.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on go karting your truck!

It sounds great 👍🏼👍🏼

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    LOL. There are portions that were a bit challenging. Having chopped mine I created a bunch more work. The door alignment and radiator cowl alignment to hood were the hardest for me. And judging from other posts most had the same experience. I ended up cutting and doing major mods to get the cowl in alignment. After a lot of trial and error I have the doors figured out. If you have trouble with them drop me a message and I can go over what I found to be a pretty easy method to get them flush at all corners and lined up with the body moldings. They may have it in the manual by know but I know the first ones we all had a bit of a struggle.

Bruce
    I appreciate the offer, I may need the help. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking less like the Flintstone mobile...and more like the Munster Koach.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

March 2021 build update...part 1

I’ve been busy building and haven’t updated this thread for a while, but I’ve been making some progress.
    After my last post I got working on the doors. I agree with the consensus…the doors are probably the trickiest part of the build. More specifically (at least for me) the hinges. Once I figured out the right combination of adjustments, I got it. Now they are opening/closing pretty well.
    IMG_1771.JPG IMG_1674(1).jpg IMG_1736.JPG

Then I moved on to the cowl…pretty straight forward.
    IMG_1566.JPG IMG_1569.JPG

Next, got into the meat of the dash. Coved the gauge panel with diamond-plate, cut the holes for the ignition switch, lights, wipers, vents, and gear indicator.
    IMG_1574.JPG IMG_1576.JPG IMG_1584.JPG

I fabricated a lower-dash for the a/c panel and radio. I plan to cover it with a leather-like vinyl wrap so it kind of matches the seats.
    IMG_1627(1).JPG IMG_7061.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

March 2021 build update...part 2

Then I installed the wiper system. Got the WWK-21 wiper kit from Specialty Power Windows like DamnYankee (thanks for your post!). This kit has an intermittent setting. Nice system.
    IMG_1613.JPG IMG_1616.JPG IMG_1632.JPG

The bed floor…Before starting on the bed, I attempted to remove the battery from underneath to see how difficult it would be. I would have to say “impossible.” So, as others have suggested/done, I cut an access panel in the bed floor. Then I thought, why not cut holes for all of the other parts that may need work/replacement in the future. So, I also made access panels for the fuel filter, charcoal canister, fuel pump, fuel quantity sending unit and the transmission oil cooler. I admit it looks a little like the old board game, Operation, but according to Murphy’s Law I should never have to work on any of these now that I have done all of this work.
    IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1721.JPG IMG_1722.JPG IMG_1730.JPG IMG_1731.JPG

33. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

March 2021 build update...part 3

And to make it easier for jumping and charging, I added a charging port in the rollpan.
    IMG_1609.JPG IMG_1610.JPG IMG_1611.JPG

The tailgate is installed and working. Next is to secure the metal strips in the bed.
    IMG_1756.JPG IMG_1757.JPG IMG_1758.JPG IMG_1761.JPG IMG_1772.JPG

Body/paint: I had a reputable body guy out to give me an idea of cost to prep the fiberglass and paint…$14-17k. I was expecting closer to 10. That is with a premium red metallic paint, and he does great work. He said he would make all of the lines/seams look good; straighten, level everything; explained the layers of filler, primer, paint, clear coat, etc. He also mentioned that red is the most expensive color (who knew?) but other colors would be more affordable.
    Does that price sound somewhat reasonable for a great paint job? Comments on the paint?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FLFrank35 View Post
    And to make it easier for jumping and charging, I added a charging port in the rollpan.
    IMG_1609.JPG IMG_1610.JPG IMG_1611.JPG

The tailgate is installed and working. Next is to secure the metal strips in the bed.
    IMG_1756.JPG IMG_1757.JPG IMG_1758.JPG IMG_1761.JPG IMG_1772.JPG

Body/paint: I had a reputable body guy out to give me an idea of cost to prep the fiberglass and paint…$14-17k. I was expecting closer to 10. That is with a premium red metallic paint, and he does great work. He said he would make all of the lines/seams look good; straighten, level everything; explained the layers of filler, primer, paint, clear coat, etc. He also mentioned that red is the most expensive color (who knew?) but other colors would be more affordable.
    Does that price sound somewhat reasonable for a great paint job? Comments on the paint?
    Thanks
    That is a fairly good quote. I have paid 20-25K for body/paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes red is the most expensive color to spray. There’s a certain type of bug juice that’s used to create the color and that’s what drives the price up. I painted mine in a red burgundy and material alone was close to 3K . There’s different kinds of paint systems varying in price however they vary in quality too. There’s cheap production clear and then there’s quality clear
    Cheap clear has a yellow tinge to it and quality clear when mixed is clear and flows out like glass which is nice and shinny .
    I’m a very experienced body guy and did my body work myself and probably had 150 hrs of body work into my build . I got everything ready and had a buddy prime it then I helped block things out and he shot it for me because I’m not that good of a painter. If there’s one thing I could suggest is the stainless panels that are attached to the upper quarters need to be removed and re glued back in place mine are coming loose as several other guys have had this issue from ffr.
    I like to know my material cost on every project I get into then I can go from there. Cash is king and maybe you can work with your guy in that respect.
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    That is a fairly good quote. I have paid 20-25K for body/paint.
    Ok, good to know. Just a little sticker shock...since I'm going without a hood/panels I thought it might be closer to $10k. But I DO want a good job, and that was his "realistic range" but (hopefully) could come in at the lower end. I believe he does good work and it includes all of the fiberglass work. After all, you get what you pay for, right?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robodent View Post
    Yes red is the most expensive color to spray. There’s a certain type of bug juice that’s used to create the color and that’s what drives the price up....
    I appreciate the explanation...good info! They must be rare bugs from the Amazon jungle and it must take a lot of them

Regarding the stainless panels, I already had one separate while working with it. Used JB Weld cool steel epoxy to reattach it.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It’s been a while since my last update but I have been working pretty consistently on my truck. I had the door setback (link to post) which took some time to get the new doors and some more time to install them. I spent a few weeks trying to install a keyless lock system, which I ultimately removed.

In November I had a professional mechanic tweak the timing, adjust the suspension and do an alignment. He also checked over my other work…all good.
    Before paint I tied up some loose ends like shortened/eliminated unnecessary wires, fabricated brackets for the forward bed corners, finished the dash, etc. Last week the truck went to the paint shop, so while it’s being painted, I’ve been working on the bed wood.

IMG_2713.JPG IMG_2716.JPG IMG_2715.JPG IMG_2714.JPG IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG IMG_2902.JPG IMG_2904.JPG IMG_2739.JPG

40. Likes Pat Landymore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Truck painted

Finally got the truck back from the paint shop. It took longer than estimated but I'm not surprised...they had to do a little more body work than expected. There were some air gaps in the fiberglass, the roof was sagging a little and they had to fix my mistakes. Will be getting to work on the interior and finishing this up.
    IMG_3581.jpg IMG_3588.jpg IMG_3591.jpg IMG_3586.jpg IMG_4922.jpg

42. Likes Pat Landymore, Chopper, RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome job!
    Respectfully
    Jeremie

44. Likes Pat Landymore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it. Nice work and congratulations. Good luck finishing it up.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast