Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Choosing the kit for Cobra 289 build

Post Thanks / Like

Choosing the kit for Cobra 289 build

Hi,
    I decided to build the 289 Cobra (no racing model..just basic steering, brakes, suspension and 302 engine) and if possible I would like the period correct car interior and exterior. I was hoping to fit in 35K but that won't be probably possible because of the customs fee (I am from Europe).
    There are some companies in Europe also but I am not sure about them. Is there by any change somebody who has experience with http://pilgrim-motorsports.co.uk/ or http://hawkcars.co.uk/ (or any other) in comparison to FFR/ERA/Superformance?

Edit: If I go with FFR could you please advice me where to get authentic interior and exterior parts?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by martin155; 06-14-2019 at 02:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Moved to 289USRRC forum after moderation.

+ Bump to the top.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    By non-racing model, do you mean the slab-side street car? FFR only offers the FIA/USRRC body which is based on a race car. Some people have either reworked or replaced the body, but that probably wouldn't fit your budget. Both ERA and Hawk make nice slab-side replicas, not sure of price though. Have you tried contacting them?
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    By non-racing car I meant that I don't want to race with it so I don't need 20-40K engine into it . I will be OK with engine, trans, suspension and brakes which will be reliable but don't need to be anything special. At the same time I am looking for kit which will be relatively easy to assemble and I also like the FFR community and available spare parts (I am on the budget but I planning to buy in steps and spread the costs it time). So I think I am already decided what I want . My only concern is about interior / exterior (and the final price ), is there possibility to get some of these parts elsewhere? I don't know how good or bad is the FFR interior/exterior. Unfortunately I can't take a look and it is hard to judge from photos but if I want more precise "outside" look what are the possibilities (if I would stick with FFR frame and mechanical parts)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine has a 65 289 block with new internals, heads, etc. Dyno on the motor was just over 340. Very well behaved around town, good on the highway as well. So, a small block will give you a good all around car.

As far as precise outside, the body is what it is. A very nice representation of one actual CSX car. I added on some details to build on what FFR provides. These came from Finish line Accessories, Moss Motors, Nick Acton. Same with the interior. Google will be your friend.

Since most of these cars were configured differently, you would need to pick one and replicate it. Or, as I did, try and hit the high points for a general FIA interpretation.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with Hawk. They are in your neighborhood and they make a truly quality car. I would have purchased one of theirs but the shipping was prohibitive. Go Hawk!

John O
    FFR 1293K - First Factory Five slabside. Replica of CSX 2367. 289 Hi-Po, original Cobra dual quads manifold with original Carter 3258s and 3259s carbs, Dayton wire wheels, Tremec 5-speed, 355 trac-loc rear, original Amco Cobra luggage rack.

7. Likes cnutting liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jolsen42 View Post
    Go with Hawk. They are in your neighborhood and they make a truly quality car. I would have purchased one of theirs but the shipping was prohibitive. Go Hawk!

John O
    Does Hawk make a Left-Hand drive?

I love slab-sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraboyDR View Post
    Does Hawk make a Left-Hand drive?

I love slab-sides.
    I would probably prefer the FIA version just without the car printing on it.

I am not sure about the Left-Hand drive version of Hawk. I have tried to write them and waiting for answer.