Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk1

Post Thanks / Like

Mk1

I just took on trade a new Mk1 kit on trade that a customer of mine bought in 1999, I would like to know what aftermarket parts work best without going the donor car route. If you can please respond with part numbers that you have used and also if any of the newer Mustang parts would work on this early model. Also has anyone used the Wilwood floor mounted pedal setup.
    Thanks again for the add and helping me with my build.
    Last edited by Fordbuilder; 06-13-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    People have used floor mounted pedals in early cars. But it's not an easy install, and requires some fabrication. Generally speaking, there's no need for it, either.

What parts you can use for other upgrades depend on what parts were used for the original build. There is no one real answer.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

3. Thanks Fordbuilder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    People have used floor mounted pedals in early cars. But it's not an easy install, and requires some fabrication. Generally speaking, there's no need for it, either.

What parts you can use for other upgrades depend on what parts were used for the original build. There is no one real answer.
    Thanks Bob, I'm working with a blank slate. Kit was never started, everything is still in the original boxes. From what I've been reading the Mk1 was pretty limited in use of parts, mainly just the 87-93 donor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Give me a call, I have a laundry list off possible changes.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

6. Thanks Fordbuilder thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is correct. Pretty much the 87-93 Mustang. And that's not a bad thing at all. Those are good parts, and will perform admirably for a street car.

There are some good upgrades available, though. Gordon has an excellent Wilwood brake set up that I highly recommend. It's not a simple bolt on, but you don't need an engineering degree, either. Use the Fox body pedal box with a modified brake pedal, and it will stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change.

There are some suspension upgrades available as well. Some of the stuff that works on a Mustang can be used, but not all of it. If you're replacing a factory/donor part, then you can usually use a performance upgrade. But some parts - like tubular front lower control arms - are FFR unique. But don't be afraid to use factory replacement parts for things like lower front control arms, rear control arms, etc. They are solid parts and fit well.

The Windsor motors and T5 type transmissions are almost all a simple bolt in. Not sure about headers, though; I don't know if you can get replacements for the MI.

The Factory Five Cobra was designed to be a simple to build, solid, and fun car. Don't try and get fancy and re-engineer the car, and it will turn out well.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

8. Thanks Fordbuilder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Gordon, I'll email you. Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    That is correct. Pretty much the 87-93 Mustang. And that's not a bad thing at all. Those are good parts, and will perform admirably for a street car.

There are some good upgrades available, though. Gordon has an excellent Wilwood brake set up that I highly recommend. It's not a simple bolt on, but you don't need an engineering degree, either. Use the Fox body pedal box with a modified brake pedal, and it will stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change.

There are some suspension upgrades available as well. Some of the stuff that works on a Mustang can be used, but not all of it. If you're replacing a factory/donor part, then you can usually use a performance upgrade. But some parts - like tubular front lower control arms - are FFR unique. But don't be afraid to use factory replacement parts for things like lower front control arms, rear control arms, etc. They are solid parts and fit well.

The Windsor motors and T5 type transmissions are almost all a simple bolt in. Not sure about headers, though; I don't know if you can get replacements for the MI.

The Factory Five Cobra was designed to be a simple to build, solid, and fun car. Don't try and get fancy and re-engineer the car, and it will turn out well.
    Thanks Bob, I'm a dealer for quite a few companies, Wilwood, BMR, Eibach and more and I'd liketo incorporate some of these into the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    Thanks Gordon, I'll email you that sounds great. I'm dealer for most manufacturers Wilwood, BMR, Eibach, Heidts etc. and would like to incorporate them into the build and it would be goo to know what works and what doesn't.