Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5.0 HP upgrade input wanted.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

5.0 HP upgrade input wanted.

Hi folks. I have a couple thousand miles more on the engine/car than what's in my sig, but here goes. I'm looking for your thoughts/input please.

WHAT I WANT:
    ~100 more HP over my 240hp at the crank.

WHAT I HAVE:
    Stock 5.0.
    Going to purchase a GT40 tubular intake and correct lower for the 302 (NOS) (Thanks again!!! you know who you are)
    I don't like the looks of the 5.0 intake, even the looks of a TFS top end, and the tubular intake is the best looking. (IMO)
    While I don't want to spend $1,600+ on heads, it looks like that is the route I would need to go. I don't want to change my headers, so the heads need to work with what I have.
    Thinking of using an E303 cam and while it's a decades old cam grind, it seems it fits the intended use of the car which is performance street.
    I'll upgrade to 24# injectors and 75mm MAF. I already have a 190lph fuel pump.

I've had a machine shop tell me anything over the stock 240hp would require changes to the bottom end which I find hard to believe.
    I know there are lots of articles out there about adding HP to these 302s, but it seems to add ~100HP will end up costing many thousands by the time I'm done.
    I'm definately using the GT40 tubular intake but beyond that, I'm open to suggestions from those of you that have been down this road before.
    I'm not interested in nitros.
    Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by mburger; 06-14-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.