Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Attempting my own paint

Post Thanks / Like

Attempting my own paint

Hi all, I have read all the threads I can find on people who have painted there own car. For all the sanding that is needed what size sanding blocks are best? How much sand paper do I need to purchase and where is a good place to purchase it?

Thanks
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you look on line at auto paints supplies?

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy what you can from whoever is selling you the paint. I found my PPG distributor to be very very helpful in the process. I know Jeff & Jeff will tell you their process, but when S#*t hits the fan your local guru will be talking you off the ledge and telling you what grit to use to sand thru the bugs that landed in it, or selling you nib files and run runners for the runs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used AFS flexible sanding blocks. I tried to find you a link, but they seem to no longer be around. You will need multiple sizes and shapes.

I got my sandpaper in sticky back rolls from TCP Global and Summitt racing. They had better prices than my local paint suppliers. Start with a roll of each grit except for 60, you don't need much of that.

Before Wardamneagle scares you too much, LOL. I had one bug that I picked out with a pair of tweezers while I was shooting. And one run in the clear. Used a run razor (a little adjustable razor blade holder) and then it sanded right out.

I found this book really helpful for panel gaps and the often missed panel flow. https://www.amazon.com/Paint-Your-Sh.../dp/0760332754

5. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    See if you have a finishmaster inc shop near you. They can load a rattle can for samples and small jobs. the can has a very nice nozzle too!

Supplies are there. Also look for a set of DuraBlock sanding blocks. Get the set.

location here:
    http://www.finishmaster.com/locations/
    Last edited by KenWilkinson; 06-14-2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added location link
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. That's what I was looking for. One roll of each grit to start. I will check out the book as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another autobody supply place. https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/
    Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought these and the rolls of sticky back paper.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sll-0703
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin Tetz produced a 'paintucation' series of videos a few years ago aimed at helping the average diy builder paint his own car.

We had a guy here in AZ try it on his own a few years back, but IDK what size roller he used...

HTH,
    Will
    FFR MK III picked up 9/24/05 Roller 9/28/05 First start & go-cart 11/28/05 red w/white stripes, PC Chassis, heat/defrost, FFR 15's, pwr footbox vents, radio delete, dual quad 427W, 4 link w/3.27's, Koni's all around, Gen 1 rag top, snapless tonneau, Herb's door panels, NRC rear discs, Breeze head rest, ********** emblems, Paint by Gino's in Rowley, MA
    2011 ffcars.com calendar Cover Car Yes, that's me in the avatar with Dave Smith in front of my roadster at the '06 FFR Open House!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ck w/ the Jeffs to see what line of paint they use. See what is available at your local supplier. Hopefully there is a match. Stick w/ one brand, and one line of paint for every thing from primer to clear. I was only doing add-on rear flares so no where near the complexity of a whole car but I found a local supplier who was a huge help answering my beginner questions.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.