Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Frustrating Coolant leaks......

Post Thanks / Like

Frustrating Coolant leaks......

So I have several coolant leaks on my GTM I’m trying to stop.... wondering if others have the same issue. I have no leaks on the rubber grommets to the corrugated stainless steel hoses, but leaks at almost every joint where the adapters clamp to the aluminum hoses. Picture attached. Spoke with Shane, he has not had this issue unless the rubber was chewed up on the adapters. My adapters were smooth and seemingly good shape. I have tightened these clamps more and more and still can’t get the leaks to stop. I am wondering if others have had this problem and their solution.....

Thanks
    -Mike Kraus
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike,

I really can't speak for a GTM in specific but I can (and I'm sure others) can attest to the corrugated pipe to pipe via sleeving tube and band clamps. It sucks. Never could keep my roadster from leaking coolant just like your pictures no matter what I did. Once you yank those band clamps down to a certain point, the corrugated hose will deform. Then your toast. I ended up chucking the corrugated hose and replaced with Cool Tubes and used heat shrink sleeving anywhere the solid tube transitions to rubber hose and where I couldn't, I just used a band clamp. Never had a problem since making this change.

Rick P

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks to me like you have the thin bushings on the alum tubes instead of the thick bushings......were the tubes loose inside the adapter until you tightened the clamps? I'm guessing you just need to pull them apart and remove the thin rubber bushings and install the thicker ones.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Shane is spot on here. Those connectors are not supposed to compress that much.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I could barely assemble them they were so tight. In fact, I had to get them wet as a lubricant prior to even getting them to assemble. They definitely are not too loose before clamping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Excess pressure?

Is the cap rating correct?

Proper air purge from the system?

Are you getting a stable coolant temperature?
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issue where I had to use the bushing on the coolant system. I finally gave up as they never sealed all the way and would drip although very slowly but drip none the less. I went to Pegasus Racing and got some reducing silicone hose fittings the have 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 reducing fittings and straight adaptors as well. my GTM has all silicone hoses and with the reducing fittings the drips are gone and everything sealed as it should.

8. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Likes rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Procision-Auto View Post
    Excess pressure?

Is the cap rating correct?

Proper air purge from the system?

Are you getting a stable coolant temperature?
    They drip with the engine off..... about 2-3 drops per week and the stuff does not evaporate.....