Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tall guy decision process

Post Thanks / Like

Tall guy decision process

Hello all. I am beginning my quest to build a Cobra replica. My issue is that I am 6'6" tall with a 34" inseam and size 12 shoes. I'm mostly torso. I put in my order for a Roadster and selected the seats with the denser but less thick foam and with the Wilwood pedals. On their FAQ, it said that some taller guys fit with these options.

The next day, I got a call from FFR and the guy expressed concern about me being comfortable in the car even with the options. He was super helpful and put me in contact with another owner in Las Vegas so that I can sit in his car and try it on. Unfortunately, this guy is just in the first steps of his assembly process. I emailed FFR asking for another owner in the area a few days ago but have not received a response yet.

I am also considering the Ultimate Classic Cars build out of TX as they advertise their build as 4" longer that a standard car for more legroom. My main concern with them is that they are not near as established as FFR.

I will be using a small block and understand that some footbox modifications may be an option for me.

So, what are the thoughts of tall guys in the FFR car (or even not so tall buy knowledgeable )? I would like to keep to a standard build as much as possible as this is my first time attempting something like this.

Terry in Las Vegas

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Terry,

David Hodgkins (Our System Administrator) is our resident Tall Dude.
    I think he may have a completed car that might be up for sale.
    He knows how to get you shoe horned into a Factory Five.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Terry,

David Hodgkins (Our System Administrator) is our resident Tall Dude.
    I think he may have a completed car that might be up for sale.
    He knows how to get you shoe horned into a Factory Five.

Steve
    Ok great. Right now I'm reading through other people's builds and trying my best to be an information sponge. This wealth of information is the reason I want to stick with the FFR if I can.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Check out David's build thread while you do your research:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ackson!/page11

From what I understand he is the same height as you with a nic-name of The Whookie.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m 6’ 3” and went with the kirkey seats. Feel like you sit down in them more vs sitting on top of the ffr seats and you get more leg room as a result. Maybe check them out.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Terry, I’m a pretty big guy, 6’4” 285 ish lol and Dave is a big guy too. He did some things on his cars that work for guys like us. I was really worried about not fitting in one. The year before last in Huntington Beach I got to sit in the “Trojan” (fight on!) that Dave built for his brother and that sealed the deal for me. I fit just fine. Take a look at Daivd Hodgkins build thread of the USC car for some ideas. He was also helpful and gracious enough to email me some of mods he did (cause that’s the kind of guy he is). Let me know if your interested in them and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if I copied them to you.
    I’ve got some of my own ideas on modifying the stock FFR seats. They were included with the complete kit so if I fail and go Kirkey I’m only out a couple hundred more than upgrading them from the get go. If I ever actually get going on our build
    Also check out Steve’s build https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Finished
    if you already haven’t. Pretty creative stuff going on in his mastermind. More also... last year at the HB show a guy’s license plate said “6foot6” or might have been 6foot7 maybe someone can correct me, but he was pretty happy with his FFR.
    Just my 2¢

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    6'3" 240lbs here. Size 14 shoe. We didn't do any of the mods but its not horrible for me. The one thing I will add is to wear the narrowest shoes you can when driving the car. That'll help alot with foot room. Think driving shoes, wrestling shoes, thin running shoes, etc. It'll help with the pedals and give you really good feel. My personal favorites are a pair of Chuck Taylor old school Converse.

Post Thanks / Like
    TMartin, check your PM's

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you get the Kirkey race seats or the Low Back Vintage (I think also made by Kirkey) seats? How about the seat track kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Kurt, that is the exact info that I need. I got to page 5 of Dave's build before I realized that I had some chores to do around the house . I got sucked in to all of the details he is including and snapped out of the zone an hour and a half later. He is an artist for sure. I'm definitely going with the Kirkey seats. Are the high back "racing" seats and the low back seats about the same for tall guys? Tomorrow, I will check out Steve's build too. This helps a lot. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using the standard seat? Any problems with your legs hitting the dash?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    TMartinLVNV,

Thanks for looking at my build thread. I hope you find it useful! FYI that car is for sale if you are looking to jump right in.

Otherwise I do have a list on simple mods and build decisions I've made on both of my builds that I pass along to Big and Tall guys.

The basics are:

1: Wilwwod pedals, which are adjustable and add ~ 2" of legroom. The brake pad can be shifted to the left to create more room for your right foot. I also cut out the crash bar to the left of my clutch foot but with the newer design this is no longer required.

2: 17" Kirkey seats. 18" pushes you forward and 16" is too small. There are two ways to go: modify the FFR-supplied intermediates or buy the vintage bucket from kirkey:
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product...E-CLASS-BUCKET . I modified my intermediates from FFR for my 1st build and actually like the fit better but it's more work. The intermediates are cloth and the vintage are vinyl. I made brackes for thes to mount them. I don't mount the seats to the floor. PS If you desire high back seats I personally like the drage seats from Kirkey:
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/categor...o-Street-Drag- That's a personal preference. I'm just not a fan of wings

3: Removable steering wheel and raised placement. Removable is more of a nice-to-have and not required. When you mount it you will put a few washers under the mount to raise the wheel.

4: Small-block motor with FFMetal straight driver's-side inner footbox. This will give you much-needed room for the go pedal. I also like the firewall forward and they used to sell a kit with both. Contact FFMetal for more info.

5: Russ Thompson gas pedal. This has good feel and you can add a "Z" bend to the pedal to move it to the right to create space between it and the brake pedal.

6: I did cut a custom dash for both of my builds. It is a bit higher at the bottom and thicker at .060 instead of .040, but you might be OK with the supplied dash.

Cutting the back wall doesn't have an effect on the seat placement. I did it because I wanted a cubby.

See my build threads for more details. My cell # is available via PM if you get in a jam of just want to chat.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

13. Thanks WIS89, K-man thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a post a few years back where the guy scalloped out the body behind the seats. He did it all the way across and it was invisible unless sitting right next to another FFR.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Terry,
    I’m 6’ 6”, 220, 13 shoes, 36” inseam. I too sat in Dave Hoskins car and was sold on FFR for big guys. I followed Dave’s advice although I installed a Coyote. That requires a little more work but still doable. The Kirkey seats make a big difference. If you are ever in Los Angeles and want to check it out, send me a PM. Link to build thread below.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Not looking to get a full assembled car. Thanks though. The build is half the fun.

Thanks for responding David. You are the second person to recommend getting the 17" seats directly through Kirkey. I want the low back version. With that option rather than the modified intermediates, how are you mounting them?

I am planning on the 347 small block. The new full kits apparently come with the Wilwood pedals. With them is it still necessary for the Russ Thompson gas pedal? Did you do the custom dash for more knee room?

I should have some more free time tonight to read more on your build. I now watch build picture montages on YouTube for fun!

You guys are a wealth of information. Thanks. I may get your number when I get the car and start. Apparently, they are about 60 days from shipping when the order is placed.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    The low back version of the kirkey and the high back have the same lower half so they would both provide the same room and mount up the same way. My mounting method worked great for me. I documented it pretty thoroughly in my build thread. It is linked below in my signature and there is an index in post #1 that you can use to find the right post.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    The low back version of the kirkey and the high back have the same lower half so they would both provide the same room and mount up the same way. My mounting method worked great for me. I documented it pretty thoroughly in my build thread. It is linked below in my signature and there is an index in post #1 that you can use to find the right post.
    I don’t know if that’s correct. I cut down my intermediates for my first build and they are different than the vintage seats in my brothers build. And they feel different in the seat too. They do mount the same way though. I decided to make custom u-shaped brackets but there are a variety of ways to mount them.

I think the vintage bucket is available from FFR. Call to verifythat.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    As i was looking through the Kirkey website I realized that they have changed the roadrace seat. Now it is adjustable for back angle. It also has a reinforcement rib on the side. I am not sure how this might affect fit in an FFR.
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/related...%20drawing.jpg
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a tall guy here, 6'1", but I have big feet. 14.

As some of the other flipper footed guys have mentioned, driving shoes are the way to go. Full on race shoes have nomex and are hot and bulky. However, there are "casual" driving shoes that have all the features without the fire protection. Puma is the brand that works for me. Look for names like Speedcat, NightCat, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the 17" seat and cover. It arrived today (love Amazon Prime). It fits just right! The standard 16" seat would have made me feel like I was flying on Spirit airlines ��. Thanks for the tips guys.

I ordered my complete kit on Mon. They estimated a July 28 completion date. There was also a $220 credit to delete the seats. It beats nothing.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few cars for sale in Las Vegas. You can at least see how much work needs to be done.
    Factory Five Racing Roadster MKIV -- #9196 -- 347ci, 475 HP, 5 Speed, Plymouth Prowler Orange Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

big guy mods

When I built my Mark 3.1 in 2009-2010, I followed a thread by "The Tall Guy", I think he was the same as you roughly. I did a couple other mods he did that make the car more comfortable for us bigger guys. I'll list those so you can consider if you want to do them. I also have the Classic lowback Kirkeys in 18" (wide butt), they will go all the way back if you cut a notch in the outer side of the seatback to clear the 3/4 inch frame tubing.

1) Move Dash Back 1.5 inches to gain arm room - pretty easy even for us non-trained welders to cut the dash hoop supports, remove 1.5 inches, and weld it back together. No real impact unless you plan on putting the heater and defrosters in your car, then it's tight to fit them after moving it back.

2) Create relief in Driver door for elbows by moving inner edge 1.5". I had Ken Pike do this mod for me and it turned out great, he also contoured the dash fiberglass to line up with the door shape, which gets me tons of finger and hand room now for tracking the car.

3) Cut off a piece of the hinge bracket and reweld it on vertical so your knee doesn't sit against a sharp edge of metal. Pic attached.

4) Next to the accelerator pedal, don't carpet that sheet metal where your foot moves, I used some 1mm black nylon sheet on top of the aluminum, my shoes slide against it nicely. Ok now you have no insulation for heat, so make a heat shield on the engine side of that location. I used 4 Rivnuts into a piece of aluminum and laminated the space behind with thermotec blanket, works great, no heat problems for right foot. Pic attached

5) Dead Pedal, lots of methods that can work but you really need to push out the sheet metal panel to the left of the clutch, I made two line cuts, bent it out, and then riveted in a couple aluminum pieces to make it whole again. I weld in a piece of steel for the foot rest to the frame member which half my foot sits on, the other half sits in the cavity in the sheet metal.

6) Definitely buy the Russ Thompson Accel pedal, totally adjustable all directions, great product.

7) Go hydraulic clutch release from Mike Forte, external type. Use 1" diameter Master Cylinder, it pushes more fluid for a fixed amount of pedal travel, allowing you to adjust the clutch pedal far far away from you, it will only need to move around 5 inches to fully move the 7/8 slave cylinder. Lots of posts on shimming and moving the Wilwood pedal box around to move the pedals "away" from you. Do this for sure.

The Kirkeys sit very very very low, compared to the Factory Five seats, I actually had to make pretty tall mounting blocks out of Nylon to raise them up a bit, and I have the Sparco dual latching sliders on my seats (these are a great slider). I just bolted thru the bottom of the Kirkey seats to the Nylon blocks, 5 years and they are holding up great even with track days at Laguna Seca. I did buy some GEL seat padding from Summit, it's only about 3/8 thick for the seat back and bottom. I also added some soft foam for lumbar support. Very happy with them. I'm only 32" inseam, and I have to move the sliders forward about 2" so I can fully release the clutch.

PM me with your Email address and I can send you lots of pics and how to's, I have a full write up for installing the Sparco sliders....if you want to pursue any of these changes.Kirkey mounts.JPGIMG_1360.JPG016.JPG

HTH,
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely Dave, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry, We met Saturday at Cars & Coffee. You are more than welcome to come by and look at my MK-II anytime at all . . . not exactly what you are getting but I can help you make some decisions about "mods" to your new MK-IV that will help with the "sizing" issue. I can also help you spend your money on "extra stuff" for your build. You already spoke to my good friend Dave Hodgkins, he is the absolute Guru on fitting "Wookie sized" guys into F5 cars.
    This and the other forum are your best source of info on these cars, and everyone here (and there) are like family, always willing to help another builder along. Too bad Huntington Beach isn't until April, that's the west coasts "family" get together of the year.

Hope to see you again on Saturdays at Cars & Coffee . . . welcome to the group.

Doc (Pete)
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really enjoyed meeting you guys. I will be there not next week but the week after (July 6th).

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it weird that my Kirkey seat is on my living room floor and I watch TV while sitting in it? The curved underside actually makes rocking almost effortless. Maybe I should cut the legs off of my end table and put it next to my seat? My cat sits on my Lazy Boy looking at me with his head turned.

Don't tell anyone else, they won't understand

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    Is it weird that my Kirkey seat is on my living room floor and I watch TV while sitting in it? The curved underside actually makes rocking almost effortless. Maybe I should cut the legs off of my end table and put it next to my seat? My cat sits on my Lazy Boy looking at me with his head turned.

Don't tell anyone else, they won't understand

Terry
    Not weird at all. I actually took some spare seats from my last project and built frames for them for the game room. Upholstered them to match my '61 Lincoln bench seat sofa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry, I need to get you and Videodude together for a sit-down discussion about tall guys in FFR's . . . He is working on one (beginning stages) and you two should talk. He is local LV and lives near the C & C meeting place.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    Terry, I need to get you and Videodude together for a sit-down discussion about tall guys in FFR's . . . He is working on one (beginning stages) and you two should talk. He is local LV and lives near the C & C meeting place.

Doc
    I have been talking to Allan. He is the one who told me about the Sat car show. That sounds great. I'm off of work Thurs-Sat and can meet just about any time.