BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Using a spreader on tight Tabs

Post Thanks / Like

Using a spreader on tight Tabs

Installing the rear suspension, most of the tabs have been quite tight, but have managed to get the bushings in. In a couple cases, I shaved down the inner sleeve which seemed to help. However, I'm now trying to get the rear spindle in the lower control arm and can't get it t fit. I've recall reading about people using homemade spreaders (presume threaded bolts and nuts) to pry open the tabs. Wanted to verify if this is in fact an ok approach. Should I be concerned about weakening the weld on the tabs. Only looking to expand by about a 1/32.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    That small of a spread is certainly ok. The metal "spring-flex" is more then that, especially at the end of the tabs.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you even need to make anything. I just used a large crescent wrench, adjusted it so it was tight against each side of the tab, and then slightly bent them in the direction needed. It didn't even scratch the powder coat. I did this on several of them with no issue at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, thanks for the quick reply!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a piece of 3/8-16 or 1/2-13 threaded rod, just long enough to pass through the two flanges. Then with nuts and big washers you can spread the flanges with two open end wrenches. The assembly is flange / washer / nut -- nut / washer / flange. It's a controlled push.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsbrillhart View Post
    ... In a couple cases, I shaved down the inner sleeve which seemed to help...
    I am concerned about this. The steel sleeve is what stops the mounting tabs from tightening too tight on the flange of the plastic bushings. The bolt should lock the sleeve stationary so that the arm and plastic bushing rotate on the sleeve. Do the control arms where you shaved the sleeve move freely?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Craig on the inner sleeves. As for bending taps, the only time you would worry about welds is if there was only weld on one side of the tab.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build