BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: fuel filter for carbureted engine?

Post Thanks / Like

fuel filter for carbureted engine?

My roadster, with stroked 302 engine and Holley 650 DP carb, has a Purolator F63169 fuel filter. I saw some online notes that this is the right filter for injected engines. Is it correct for carbureted engines, too? If not, what's your recommendation for the proper filter (make & number)?

Thanks!
    Craig

10/2018 -- acquired Mk3.1 #6602 which was an unfinished project in go-kart stage; 9/2019 -- completed car enough to drive locally and compete in autocross events; still in original black gel-coat; 347 Stroker w/ Holley 650 carb, roller cam; Tremec 3550; 3.51 rear diff; lots of Breeze pieces; 2021 -- XP Champion in Central PA Region - SCCA Autocross Series; 2022 - installed windshield and registered in PA; my Build Thread -- https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ished-Business

6/2022 -- acquired Mk3 #1004; finished build; 347 stroker w/ Holley 560 carb SOLD

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You need a filter in between the fuel pump and the carburetor.
    If the pump is in the tank or behind the filter, then no other filter is really needed.
    If you are running a mechanical pump on your engine, then you definitely need a filter in between the pump and the carb.
    I'm running both, but I may encounter fuel starvation and if I do I will most certainly ditch the filter that is back by the tank since I'm running a mechanical pump.

Hope This Helps!

3. Thanks FF6602 thanked for this post

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running a filter between the tank and pump. It's a recommended fuel filter for the '93 Mustang that was used in the donor.

And, thanks for this post. It reminds me that I probably need to change the filter.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

5. Thanks FF6602 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am using this filter in the back near the tank.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-10120
    in this housing
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...placementparts
    I don't remember how I ended up w/ a different brand for the element but that is what I have saved in my Summit wish list. This has been in the car since 2007 w/ a 351 and now a 408 so it definitely works even if it does go against a lot of recommendations.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

7. Thanks FF6602 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Filter ideas

Thanks to GoDadGo, Ray and CraigS for your replies. My current setup is using the filter from the donor Mustang (93 GT) between the tank and the electric pump so I'll replace that filter with the OEM style filter for now. This go-kart was sitting for years before I bought it so I suspect that there is water / dirt / smutz in the tank and/or filter that I want to flush and replace.

I really like the replacement cartridge-style filter that CraigS suggested and will switch to that when time allows. "I am using this filter in the back near the tank.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-10120 in this housing https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...placementparts"

This is what I love about this forum -- reliable, credible answers without judgement. So helpful!!

Happy Motoring and, if you're attending LCS, please look me up. I'll be the guy with the go-kart and a confused look on his face. But I'm bringing beer and cookies!
    Craig

10/2018 -- acquired Mk3.1 #6602 which was an unfinished project in go-kart stage; 9/2019 -- completed car enough to drive locally and compete in autocross events; still in original black gel-coat; 347 Stroker w/ Holley 650 carb, roller cam; Tremec 3550; 3.51 rear diff; lots of Breeze pieces; 2021 -- XP Champion in Central PA Region - SCCA Autocross Series; 2022 - installed windshield and registered in PA; my Build Thread -- https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ished-Business

6/2022 -- acquired Mk3 #1004; finished build; 347 stroker w/ Holley 560 carb SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using the Fram Racing version of that canister filter at the tank and an Edelbrock in-line filter between the pump and carb. This is supporting 500hp using upgraded 3/8" fuel lines. No issues.

10. Thanks FF6602 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have always seen recommended NOT to put a filter between tank and mechanical pump but my car already had it when I bought it. When I did the IRS retrofit, I removed the tank, filter and some of the fuel line and disconnected the rubber section at the pump so I could blow gas out of the remaining line. After the upgrade, when I went to fire the engine, it wouldn't start. Scratching my head for a while, I finally remembered to connect the hose to the pump. W/ all the warnings in mind I figured I was in for a lot of cranking waiting for the pump to pull gas up out of tank, though filter, and 10 ft of line, and finally to fill the carb. 20 seconds later the engine fired up. Guess that filter location is OK.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

12. Likes FF6602 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In previous lifetimes I ran a Edelbrock Vic mechanical with a Canton 8 Micron filter at the tank, 3/8 lines. Never an issue, always pulled fuel, never ran out of fuel at upper rpm. Car came with a cheesy clear plastic filter, saw those clog up w/ crud, just not sufficient filter area.

I will run the Canton/Vic combo for this build in the same basic configuration.

Jim

14. Thanks FF6602 thanked for this post