Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR Vinyl Dash with Glovebox Questions

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Vinyl Dash with Glovebox Questions

I purchased FFR's Roadster Vinyl Dash with Glovebox. Mainly for the glove box.

Messing around with fit and some layout mod's I noticed that the dash thickness doesn't allow for the screw-on bezel for the ignition switch to seat all the way. Anyone else experience this with the vinyl dash ? I assume the solution is to remove some material from the backside ? Anyone have a successful modification to offer ?

I'm also thinking about covering it with leather. Any one else successfully attempt this ? If so what adhesive to use on this substrate (e.g. Weld wood landau top & trim HHR)

Any successful experiences with this dash is be appreciated
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same experience with the ignition, but don't have a solution to offer. Another thing to be weary of is the left-most gauge clearance to the body is really tight. Set the dash an 1/8" lower than what you think is right and the gauge bezel shouldn't contact the body.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, there was a thread on this topic a few months ago on the other forum, take a look at the below link. I just installed mine this weekend as well and leaving the ring with the gap for now. I’ll torque it down as tightly as possible during final install.

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac.../topics/636306

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a pair of pliers wrapped with duct tape. Badasp recommended that and it worked. Just be careful not to scratch it up. The threads on all of the switches barely pop thru the new dash. I tightened up the wiper switch from the other side. But once they are tightened, I can’t see them coming loose.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to trim some off the back side for the ignition switch but then glued, using JB weld, a thin piece of sheet metal to the back as a reinforcement to the switch. I gave up on the provided toggle switches for the hazards, high/low beams, and windshield wipers, and opted to go with other switches. I used Cole Hersee toggle switches from Del City for the Hazard and low/ high beams - they have longer stems. I added chrome washers to the toggle switches for some bling.

CFE17F7F-78DE-4D22-BDBE-6117FFEFFAC6.jpg

I used the Ron Francis Synergy Series WS-61 for the windshield wiper switch. The WS-61 is identical in appearance to the headlight switch.

18785B49-BEC5-4113-893A-088E1C567862.jpg

Some additional notes for the padded dash - I had a stress crack in the dash where the lower supports attach. I resolved this by JB welding thin strips of sheet metal to the dash's inside lower lip. Now the dash support screws attach to metal as well as the dash's vinyl.

I also added sheet metal backing plates to the back of the windshield wiper switch - the WS-61, and to the steering column hole to support the bezel for the opening to accommodate the Russ Thompson turn signal.

Overall I like the dash, but it is soft with respect to locking down switches and attachment points.
    Last edited by RJD; 06-17-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing to be weary of is the left-most gauge clearance to the body is really tight. Set the dash an 1/8" lower than what you think is right and the gauge bezel shouldn't contact the body.
    Thanks for the tip. I will watch out for this them I install my gauges.

Thanks for the other tips on the install of the ignition switch. Seems like a long way to go to torque it down to flush. I'm glad to hear it's doable. I am inclined to remove some material on the back side and maybe add a piece of sheetmetal to reinforce.

My toggle seem OK if I don't use the look washer.

Anybody try to cover this dash with leather ?
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlewis View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I will watch out for this them I install my gauges.

Thanks for the other tips on the install of the ignition switch. Seems like a long way to go to torque it down to flush. I'm glad to hear it's doable. I am inclined to remove some material on the back side and maybe add a piece of sheetmetal to reinforce.

My toggle seem OK if I don't use the look washer.

Anybody try to cover this dash with leather ?
    I have to ask, why not just get the blank or aluminum dash instead if you want to cover it with your own leather? I would think the padded vinyl dash is geared more towards people that don't want to modify it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to ask, why not just get the blank or aluminum dash instead if you want to cover it with your own leather? I would think the padded vinyl dash is geared more towards people that don't want to modify it.
    yeah, in hind sight, perhaps.

I'm general OK with the gauge layout, I mainly purchased it for the glove box set up and the presumption of fit and possible time saver....

Just interested in matching the leather in the other parts of the interior....

sounds like I'm the only one that's tried this ??