Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Windshield install. Why is everyone afraid to do this and what should if cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield install. Why is everyone afraid to do this and what should if cost?

I've decided to go with urethane for the glass install. Called 6 different shops who "don't do custom glass work" or simply don't want the job. Four others promised a call back but never did. My experience tells me this is pretty straight forward work and I may have to do it myself. What have you paid to have a glass pro install front and rear hardtop glass? With the right urethane is it easy enough to do myself and is a primer necessary on the painted/cleared flange?

Always the simple crap that causes the most grief. Thx.

2. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    I've decided to go with urethane for the glass install. Called 6 different shops who "don't do custom glass work" or simply don't want the job. Four others promised a call back but never did. My experience tells me this is pretty straight forward work and I may have to do it myself. What have you paid to have a glass pro install front and rear hardtop glass? With the right urethane is it easy enough to do myself and is a primer necessary on the painted/cleared flange?

Always the simple crap that causes the most grief. Thx.
    I would imagine, you'll do fine (it has been years since I have had to remove/replace a windshield), however you may want to reach out to a local body shop instead of a specialized glass shop. They may be a little more willing to take on the work. Just a thought!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    i bought ribbon urethane think it 3 M and am gonna put It on opening and put the glass in with a HF suction cups
    you are not launching a missil , read the instructions on the urethane

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, found a great glass guy who did the install of both front and rear glass for $200. Amazing job taking time to do it right and it looks great. He used primer on the lips, the glass, and taped everything off to reduce the chance of a big mess. He applied the urethane to the glass and set it in place with just minor pressure so it did not ooze out around the edge. Now I can move on to making these power windows function. Here's a picture if the windshield glass. Looks odd as the top is in a rack I made to store it vertically. 1561048257608-776501004.jpg

6. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    See my latest post, doing the windshield and back window is really easy. Used the primer on the lip and the glass and used the 3M Window Weld.