Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: where do you use your Compound 302?

Post Thanks / Like

where do you use your Compound 302?

I'm just wondering if you do anything special to protect whatever surface (asphalt or concrete driveway) you are working over top of when applying, wiping and rinsing off Compound 302 from stainless steel pipes? Is it safe to use in an asphalt driveway or is the hydrochloric acid content high enough to cause damage or discoloration? Do you do anything special to protect surrounding areas from contact?

Sean
    MK 3.5 roadster (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 396W stroker, 4 bbl mass air EFI, QH (self-tuned), AFR 195CC Renegade, XE274HR, GP 4-1-4 SS headers, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, bumpers, 2 X roll bars, IČ electronics, PS, hydroboosted brakes: 95 GT front, custom MK VIII calipers/Cobra discs rear, FFR front, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, CF dash, mod comp layout w/Auto Meter Ultra-Lites, Lucas tri-bar headlights, coupe taillights, painted by SRP (again!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I protect my paint. I make a cardboard piece with a cutout that mimics the body sidepipe cutout and put it between the body and the pipe and use masking tape to seal it around the cutout. My garage floor is a "working" garage floor including from when I painted my car. So, someone else would be better to answer that. I have never seen any staining.

Don't forget safety glasses and gloves. That stuff smells a little evil.

3. Thanks canuck1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When storing the Compound 302, keep tools and other precious items far away from the container. The vapors escaping from the jar will rust on all steel surfaces in the immediate area. I had this happen with the closed jar in an open area on my work bench. It's the same thing that happens around nitric acid.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

5. Thanks canuck1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    When storing the Compound 302, keep tools and other precious items far away from the container. The vapors escaping from the jar will rust on all steel surfaces in the immediate area. I had this happen with the closed jar in an open area on my work bench. It's the same thing that happens around nitric acid.
    I keep the container double bagged in ziploc freezer bags. The stuff will find it's way out of a sealed container and make a mess of whatever is under it.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

7. Thanks canuck1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm following the double-ziploc protocol for storage and have heavy-duty, elbow length rubber gloves as well as eye protection. I'm really wondering about where (the work area) I choose to apply, wipe and rinse the product. Has anyone seen staining or cracking on hard surfaces like concrete or asphalt or is the alkaline rinse (soap & water) enough to neutralize the acid content? I'm not worried about my car at this point either, since I'm using it on a set of headers that aren't bolted to the car at the moment.

I appreciate the advice so far.

Sean
    MK 3.5 roadster (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 396W stroker, 4 bbl mass air EFI, QH (self-tuned), AFR 195CC Renegade, XE274HR, GP 4-1-4 SS headers, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, bumpers, 2 X roll bars, IČ electronics, PS, hydroboosted brakes: 95 GT front, custom MK VIII calipers/Cobra discs rear, FFR front, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, CF dash, mod comp layout w/Auto Meter Ultra-Lites, Lucas tri-bar headlights, coupe taillights, painted by SRP (again!)