FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can't fill fuel cell

Post Thanks / Like

Can't fill fuel cell

So, after scouring this forum for a couple of weeks, I'm caving and seeing if someone has had this happen to them. I have a converted Challenge car and can't fill the fuel with gas more than a thimble at a time. My old Roadster also had a fuel cell that was slow to fill, but this one is ridiculous. Maybe pump a couple tenths, then wait til it slowly and I mean slowly goes in and start again. Is this a tank venting issue? Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem with a 22 gallon fuel cell side fill. I removed the rubber flapper in the inlet. Fills without issues now.
    Mike m

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem with a 22 gallon fuel cell side fill. I removed the rubber flapper in the inlet. Fills without issues now.
    Mike m

Post Thanks / Like
    check your vent. it may be plugged or to small

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is the vent, Mark Reynolds has you covered: https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...eck-valve-kit/

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    If it is the vent, Mark Reynolds has you covered: https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...eck-valve-kit/

John
    John, I think the Breeze vent is for a stock Mustang tank, not a Fuel Cell, don't know for sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoen View Post
    Mike m
    Mike, did you have to unbolt the stub on the side of the cell or did you just stick a knife in the hole and do surgery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    John, I think the Breeze vent is for a stock Mustang tank, not a Fuel Cell, don't know for sure
    You are correct; the Breeze vent is for the stock Mustang tank. Sorry if I led you astray.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    You are correct; the Breeze vent is for the stock Mustang tank. Sorry if I led you astray.

John
    John, thanks and no worries, I've been astray for a long time now

Post Thanks / Like
    Can this breeze vent be added without dropping the tank?

Post Thanks / Like
    You won't have to drop the tank completely, but you will need to lower it far enough that you can get your hand to fit. For me, that would be just a couple of inches. You can easily test by removing the right rear tire.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you run a small hose, 3/8" from the filler neck into the tank and then try filling. Probably not something you want to do daily, but might reveal an issue.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.