Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Filler Tube Cut

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just completed this assembly on mine a few weeks ago. Mostly followed the instructions. Agreed some of the pictures, like many others in the instructions (unfortunately), aren't Gen 3. So don't get too hung up on that. Just remember the first 30-40 builders of the new Coupe didn't have a manual at all. Agreed the metal tube is cut just like the instructions. The 2-inch metal piece isn't used. For the rubber tube, one cut is just like the instructions. They don't describe a second one though, although it's shown in some pictures. It's necessary to cut the end where it goes onto the LeMans cap. It's cut close to the right angle. I eyeballed it off the pictures and it fit fine. As I described in my build thread, once installed, I found the rubber tube out of the cap was hard against the edge of the aluminum hatch side. So I increased the opening at the bottom to improve the clearance. I also found the SS tank retainer provided (same as used on the Roadster) wasn't a good fit due to the Gen 3 frame. It's oriented the wrong direction and not sure how you'd install it like the pictures show. Again, think those are stock pictures and not the actual Gen 3 Coupe. I made my own retainer. Overkill, but does the job. Completed mine looks like this:

Last edited by edwardb; 06-18-2019 at 10:03 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.