Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Filler Tube Cut

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Filler Tube Cut

Hey team, in the gen 3 coupe directions it shows cutting the metal fuel filler tube but I am not sure where to cut. The directions walk you through marking off 6.5" and 8.5" and then tells you to cut at the two marked locations. This made me confused, why would you cut it at 8.5" and then shorter at 6.5"? I must be missing something because it does not make any sense to cut something and then cut another two inchs off.

I just cut it to the longer length for now. I tried going ahead in the manual and looking at the photos of the arm but it looks like there must have been a change in parts as the rubber hose that attaches to the metal filler tube is different then what is shown. Anyone else get confused on this part? I can still pull the tube out and cut another two inchs off if needed.
    Last edited by Tree; 06-18-2019 at 02:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So as far as I understand it, the basic idea is that you're trying to remove a 2" section from roughly the middle of the tube which will then be replaced with rubber tubing which will allow for flexing and such.

Follow this instruction exactly— mark the two lines and cut both— which effectively removes a 2" section from the middle.

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 11.37.30 PM.png

I think the following picture is the one that may be confusing you. They are showing it inserted into the gas can before it's cut (not entirely sure why— maybe this was the way things were done in a previous gen??). I would just ignore this.
    Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 11.38.01 PM.png

Later in the manual (around page 492) you'll see the following picture. This is the correct way of what it will look like all together. Notice the 2" section missing from the middle and replaced with rubber tube?
    Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 11.42.47 PM.png

I'm 99% sure of everything I'm saying, but can't be 100% sure because I don't have my body on. Someone else may want to confirm/deny.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 06-18-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just completed this assembly on mine a few weeks ago. Mostly followed the instructions. Agreed some of the pictures, like many others in the instructions (unfortunately), aren't Gen 3. So don't get too hung up on that. Just remember the first 30-40 builders of the new Coupe didn't have a manual at all. Agreed the metal tube is cut just like the instructions. The 2-inch metal piece isn't used. For the rubber tube, one cut is just like the instructions. They don't describe a second one though, although it's shown in some pictures. It's necessary to cut the end where it goes onto the LeMans cap. It's cut close to the right angle. I eyeballed it off the pictures and it fit fine. As I described in my build thread, once installed, I found the rubber tube out of the cap was hard against the edge of the aluminum hatch side. So I increased the opening at the bottom to improve the clearance. I also found the SS tank retainer provided (same as used on the Roadster) wasn't a good fit due to the Gen 3 frame. It's oriented the wrong direction and not sure how you'd install it like the pictures show. Again, think those are stock pictures and not the actual Gen 3 Coupe. I made my own retainer. Overkill, but does the job. Completed mine looks like this:

Last edited by edwardb; 06-18-2019 at 10:03 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the remark on the retaining ring. I was able to sandwich it in there and get it to work, but it's not really the right part for the Gen III.

Off-topic: Is that a charcoal can there @edwardb? I ended up re-purposing my unused brake fluid reservoir and mount— another option if you are considering going the Tilton reservoir route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    Off-topic: Is that a charcoal can there @edwardb? I ended up re-purposing my unused brake fluid reservoir and mount— another option if you are considering going the Tilton reservoir route.
    Yes, that's a charcoal fuel vapor piece made from < $10 of PVC pipe pieces from HD. Similar to what I've done on other builds along with others. Saw a post about using the brake fluid reservoir. Maybe yours. Good idea and thought about it. But it's quite a bit smaller plus I already had the mounting bracket for this setup.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I am going to pull the tube out and make the additional cut tonight. I am glad I came on here and asked because it makes perfect sense after I see the finished part. Guess I just did not look far enough ahead and that second picture that Alphamacaroon confused me. Would you guys recommend doing the carbon filter now? I did not have anything planned there. I am guessing that is to reduce the smell of gas. How strong will it be without an added filter on the vent like that. I had thought the smell of gas was kind of nostalgic and would be part of the experience of the old car for me but maybe that is misguided. Do most builders add a filter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    ...Would you guys recommend doing the carbon filter now? I did not have anything planned there. I am guessing that is to reduce the smell of gas. How strong will it be without an added filter on the vent like that. I had thought the smell of gas was kind of nostalgic and would be part of the experience of the old car for me but maybe that is misguided. Do most builders add a filter?
    Can't provide any absolute answers. I think adding an activated charcoal filter is pretty common. Some use the OE one. Some fabricate them. Some debate how effective they are and whether they will last. DD installations use vacuum and a purge valve so are more active and in theory would last longer. But I've never replaced the charcoal in mine and never had any gas smells. The intent is mainly to prevent gas smells while sitting in the garage. Nothing nostalgic about that for me. It's never been an issue and never smelled anything. But full discolosure I've had something similar on each of my builds. You could leave it open and see what happens. That area is somewhat reachable in a completed build by removing the splash guard. Your choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I don't know 100% either. I figured it couldn't hurt, and now is the easiest time to do it. I suspect that the activated carbon will be have to be refreshed from time to time— as edwardb said, it's not an active system like newer cars— but it should be pretty easy to pull off the cap and replace the carbon every once and a while.