Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Requirements to pass MA inspection

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Requirements to pass MA inspection

Doing my homework before jumping in on a Mk4 kit.

I live in MA and have been a Fox Mustang enthusiast for many years. I have many parts that I've stockpiled from previous projects and my current car. I have a spare 302 on a stand, as well as a spare rear axle, a couple spare T5's (with astro performance gearsets for additional torque capacity) as well as a few spare brake setups as well. In other words, I have a lot of what I need to build a base Mk4 kit without even needing a donor.

From what I understand, none of this will fly in MA as I need a paper trail for all of the major components and receipts to prove none of these parts were off a stolen car. What are my best options here? Locate a dirt cheap donor fox and then use my good parts vs the junk on the donor?

As for the engine and trans, I know that Ford typically stamped a partial VIN on the rear china wall of the engine, and the pass side of the T5 transmission. Do these stampings need to match the donor vehicle? What if the donor had an engine/trans replaced at some point during it's 30 year history? Are these partial vin stamps physically checked?

Another possibility is to forgo the pushrod route, sell off everything I have and pick up a wrecked 96-98 Cobra as a donor.

What components typically need a paper trail? Engine, trans, axle (which may not be an issue if I go with the IRS option?). If I stick a pair of Cobra 13" calipers and rotors on the car that I've had sitting in a box for years, will that raise a red flag because I don't have a receipt?

Thanks for the replies. Just looking to make sure I start off on the right foot and have the proper documentation down the road so I don't have any issues as well as understand my total cost for the project.
    Last edited by Mustang5L5; 06-19-2019 at 11:14 AM.