BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Master Power Cutoff

Post Thanks / Like

Master Power Cutoff

Need Ideas from the group.
    Purchased and planning to install master power cutoff switch with removable key as well as jumper terminals. My thought was the jumper terminals in the trunk but unsure about the master cutoff.I know many install between the seats on the rear wall trans piece but unsure if there are better Ideas. finally interrupt positive or negative? I want to say positive but that would allow the engine to continue to run once started..

Thoughts from the group?
    Carburetor 302
    drop trunk and battery

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW. Might be a better place but have not had any issues with the switch on the u-joint cover.

EDIT: Should have put thins in Have a 10amp self resetting circuit breaker on the switch. Keeps the ECU & radio memory alive with the key out but the car will not start.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-19-2019 at 08:27 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

3. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have mine to the left of the steering wheel on the dash (Type 65), positive side, so I (and someone outside the car in a crash) can reach it in a big hurry. You can wire it as a true kill switch on the positive side, and I did that, carefully following instructions I found online. If I did it right (we shall see) it will shut down all power, and interrupt the alternator output, thus killing the engine, without frying the alternator. Electricity is not my strength and it took a lot of reading to figure out how to do that, and I'm still not 100% sure the alternator won't fry when I turn the switch.

5. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts.

There is a difference between a master cutoff and a battery cutoff. Most of us have a battery cutoff. A master cutoff would have two sets of contacts. One for the battery and one to interrupt the alternator.

Between the seats is a good place in my opinion. Easy to insert and remove the key. Unless you put your harness on with the key still in your pocket. It is almost invisible when the key is out, so a thief won't know it's there. On a race track it would be visible to a tack worker if really needed.

Put it on the positive. Putting on the negative wont turn the car off either. The battery is not the power supply for the car, nor is it the ground. The alternator is the power source and it is grounded to the engine and chassis. Cars run fine without a battery. They're just a little hard to start.

I ran a wire, fused of course, from the battery positive to my clock.
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 06-19-2019 at 01:19 PM.

7. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have one since I moved that battery up front. When the battery was in the back the red flag switch was in the trunk too. The few times I went into a restaurant where I couldn't watch the car, I pulled the flag and locked the trunk. BTW it's been 6 years and I haven't missed the switch even once.
    Last edited by CraigS; 06-20-2019 at 05:55 AM.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

9. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    BTW it's been 6 years and I haven't missed the switch even once.
    They are worth at least 10hp, so I'm keeping mine.

11. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Likes phileas_fogg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ran the same setup you are considering. My battery is grounded to the frame in the back with a lead running to a jumper terminal in the trunk, and the positive cable runs to a jumper terminal in the trunk and then up to a battery cutoff switch mounted at the rear of the transmission tunnel cover (on the angled piece). I did what some other members have done and mounted a 10-amp auto-resetting circuit breaker (blade style) in a fuse holder. It serves to "jump" the battery cutoff and provide 10 amps max current to keep the memories alive on the clock, etc when the battery cut-off is turned off. I've read that these can fail on occasion due to increasing levels of load trying to get through them as they weather, or if you forget to turn the cut-off back on and attempt to start the car. Then again, I've also read that they work well for years and years. I guess I'll see what happens with mine. I'm hopeful to do first start this weekend.

I view a battery cutoff as an extra safety not only against theft, but also as a protection against all of that potential energy housed inside the battery. My alternator has a mega fuse in-line to protect against that side of things.
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

13. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could always use an extra 10hp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    They are worth at least 10hp, so I'm keeping mine.
    I got 11 out of mine.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed my battery cut out switch up in the passenger foot box top inside front corner. Totally out of sight and in fact actually left the carpet a little loose there so it is actually behind the carpet. I used it every day during the Hot Rod Power Tour when I went in for the night. Only negative issue is that the power connections are on the inside of the engine bay and while working on the headers one should disconnect the power at the battery as it is easy to ground out. But on a positive note, that also provides a great place to "jump" the battery if needed. It also provided a great place to put the wires + wires -vs- all on the starter. Worked out real well for me. I'm mentally designing a nice cover to go over the wires to clean it up a bit. And FWIW, my son who road shotgun for the past week and logged 2500 miles with me, was able to reach down and switch it for me pretty easily when needed.

IMG_3129.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

17. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put my battery cut off on the horseshoe above the transmission tunnel. With the key out, you don’t know it’s there. I see it as a theft deterrent on trips. With it out, everything except the clock and EFI memory is dead.

Sadly, I can’t verify Avalache’s claim of extra horsepower....

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

19. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is mounted on the upright between the trans cover and underside of dash . . . been there 17 years with no issues (that should answer the question about longevity). Mine is wired to cut off the alternator "exciter" lead (thru a relay) so the alt stops producing voltage and the engine quits along with everything else. That only works if you have an earlier alternator with a "stator" terminal - Old school racers trick for extra HP (above the 10 mentioned above).

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

21. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post