FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tailgate questions

Post Thanks / Like

Tailgate questions

What is the tailgate top bar? Its mentioned in the diagram on page 377 of the updated PDF manual, and on page 373 of the first printed manual. Is this the stainless piece that is bonded to the tailgate fiberglass??

What is the under tailgate panel? Its mentioned on page 382 of the updated PDF manual, and on page 379 of the first printed manual. Is this the rollpan??

Anyone have pictures???
    Thanks
    Ron
    Last edited by DamnYankee; 06-19-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe your correct on the tailgate top bar it’s the flared out extension of the tailgate itself. The bottom tailgate is the lower roll pan. Take my advice or leave it but I cut the roll pan in half and the top extensions off the gate and bolted the tailgate and roll pan together. It’s a fixed tailgate I eliminated the chains, hinges and all the goop. I also cut the hinge for the gas tank strap and riveted the strap to the frame this allowed me a tighter fit with the roll pan. However I ended up extending the inner top portion of the gate to fit flush with the inside bed. I never intended on using the tailgate besides the bed is only 5 inches deep. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Rob. I also plan a fixed tailgate and I did the same with my gas tank straps .
    But I'm not following the part about the rollpan fitting tighter. Can you explain please?
    thx
    Last edited by DamnYankee; 06-19-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well when I installed the quarter panels first I pretty much shoved them all the way forward to the cab about an inch or less to the cab. Drilled my front hole on the quarter which ended up inside the cab on a flat brace. Well all good I like the way it fits then when I got to the roll pan the gas tank brackets had to go in order to get the roll pan far enough forward . If you already modified the gas tank straps then it won’t be an issue. I first set the front of the quarter then set the rear of the quarter according to the vertical gap on the rear of the cab. Then last the center of the quarter which one side I shimmed the other side I was able to bang out to meet the quarter. Hope it makes some sense but it’s how I made it work. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    I have plenty of room by the rollpan.
    My current issue is that when I get the 4 inside corners of the bed at the same height, then the front vertical side of the bed is not square to the cab. Messing with that right now.
    Update: got it straight now.
    Last edited by DamnYankee; 06-19-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yankee, you bring up a good question in my mind.
    Is there an updated Beta PDF online version of the manual? The pdf version I have is dated Aug. 2018, and the pages do not match the pages you reference.
    I have some questions on the wiring shown on pages 272-273 of the printed manual, as if the wire cutting still applies to the pickup, and if later pdf versions of the manual delete these instructions to cut various wires.
    Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Ralph,
    My PDF is Revision 1B - Feb 2019. You need FFR to send you the dropbox link to the new PDF.
    As for the wiring, if you're talking about the Steering Column Wiring section on page 172-173, that's the same as in the revised manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info on new pdf. Yes, I was talking about pages 172-173 of printed manual. I blame mistype on my age.

I struggle with the roll pan also, and an going with non-functioning tailgate.

Thanks again, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Just talked to FFR and there is now an April, 2019 pdf version available. They need to find some way to notify us of these updates.
    They also indicate the wire cuts on pages 172-173 (printed) still apply.
    Ralph

10. Thanks DamnYankee thanked for this post