Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: (Fixed with logic board swap) More ABS challenges - 95 GT 3-channel module (Help!)

Post Thanks / Like

(Fixed with logic board swap) More ABS challenges - 95 GT 3-channel module (Help!)

So my ABS headache continues. My first ABS module from the salvage yard had 3 of 3 stuck solenoids. It would pass the self-test and the pump will run, but I wasn't comfortable with the idea of heating everything up and smacking it with a hammer.

I had the salvage yard send me a replacement module, which kind of saved me some work because I had cut the first mounting bracket smaller than I wanted it. The new unit clicks all 3 solenoids and the pump spins up, but it on'tt pass the self-test! (YGBSM!)

I commenced heating the stuck solenoid unit with my heat gun and gently smacking it with a hammer and got one of them loose, but the other 2 remain locked. Any tips, tricks, or how to videos on how to break them loose?

So what to do now? Get a 3rd salvage module? Pony up and buy new if I can find one? Can I swap the good electronics portion on the stuck solenoid module over to the functional solenoid one?

I need to finish this so I can mount it, make up new brake hardliners and move on to the entire wiring harness and new engine...

Cheers,
    Shack
    Last edited by shackf16; 06-29-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Updated with new info.

Post Thanks / Like

Fixed it - pretty easy logic board swap!

After making phone calls to local parts stores and the dealership, I discovered buying new is not an option. There are a couple of resellers on eBay where I could have gotten one, but I wasn't crazy about buying a 3rd used unit. After watching a few online videos about folks who had disassembled different ABS modules to make solder repairs, I figured I'd give it a shot.

So for anyone else who may run into a similar problem, here is all you need to do. I removed the Torx screws at the corners and the non-tamper proof one along the edge (the one you test the pump motor with) and the logic board easily came off. I simply switch the two boards and put them back together and everything tested fine on my "new and improved" ABS module. Now I have a doubly defective unit to toss.

Time to move on to the mounting stage...
    Attached Images Attached Images