Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Mounting Body before paint

Post Thanks / Like

Mounting Body before paint

Finished most of the carpet install.Click image for larger version.

Name: IMG-1199.jpg
    Views: 7
    Size: 982.4 KB
    ID: 133764Click image for larger version.

Name: IMG-1197.JPG
    Views: 4
    Size: 1.41 MB
    ID: 133765Click image for larger version.

Name: IMG-1203.jpg
    Views: 6
    Size: 789.6 KB
    ID: 133766

To the professional builders out there.
    I would like to mount the body on the Chassis with body centered on the front by measuring from shock tower to finder as instructions state. Then install all the splash guards and radiator aluminum with riv-nuts and button head bolts, making the panels removable. That way when my body guy can remove panels for body work and paint. I would also install the under-door aluminum panels (these would be permanently fixed). What would the pros and cons be what I am wanting to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    No problems but a couple of cautions:

Regarding riv-nuts in the aluminum panels; if you insist on using them make sure that they are pulling tight. Probably 4 out of 5 cars that I get in with inserts have ones that aren't tight and when I go to disassemble the splash panels they spin in the aluminum and have to be cut out. Kinda' defeats the purpose. Left up to me I'd just rather see rivets and drill them out for disassembly.

Don't make the under door aluminum panels entirely permanent because they will have to be removed and then most likely repositioned once the body is in it's final position. Rivets are fine...they drill out easily...but don't silicone them. Same goes for the carpet that gets applied on them---if it's glued down it will probably get destroyed when the aluminum is removed.

BTW, your images aren't showing.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, no pictures
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Kmcallahan; 08-18-2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Add comment

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    No problems but a couple of cautions:

Regarding riv-nuts in the aluminum panels; if you insist on using them make sure that they are pulling tight. Probably 4 out of 5 cars that I get in with inserts have ones that aren't tight and when I go to disassemble the splash panels they spin in the aluminum and have to be cut out. Kinda' defeats the purpose. Left up to me I'd just rather see rivets and drill them out for disassembly.

Don't make the under door aluminum panels entirely permanent because they will have to be removed and then most likely repositioned once the body is in it's final position. Rivets are fine...they drill out easily...but don't silicone them. Same goes for the carpet that gets applied on them---if it's glued down it will probably get destroyed when the aluminum is removed.

BTW, your images aren't showing.

Jeff

I concur...da bat

6. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post