Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power steering cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Power steering cooler

Got a hydraboost setup on my coupe for PS and PB. Problem is, the power steering fluid overheats. Doesn't work very well when it gets really hot, and am changing the fluid with every oil change. Tried installing two different PS coolers, but they make too much resistance and it applies the brakes. Any ideas? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You didn't state what coolers you've tried.

I don't see a problem with the sizing of the pipes used. Mine has 6an fittings with one loop in and out and there are others with more loops but the piping is the same.

I don't know what resistance transmission coolers have but they are different and work just like an engine cooling radiator while the PS coolers don't. PS coolers simply have fins on the pipe with no change in size of piping or travel of the fluid so I'm having a hard time understanding the resistance you are experiencing.

Make sure the cooler is in the low pressure side, coming from the steering rack back to the reservoir.

Also consider a large remote reservoir as they run cooler being away from the pump and allow a better dissipation of heat and time to cool off.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Post 189 shows how I mounted a fairly large cooler in my Gen II Type 65. I can only guess how well it works, having never driven the car.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...65-Coupe/page5

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the cooler I have been running for 8-9 years. It says no longer available but I thought it's design might be helpful. Also use Honda PS fluid from the dealer. It is better at dealing w/ heat
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried two different ones, both from Summit, the second one having a larger diameter, just a simple U bend with some cooling fins. Second one wasn't as bad but applied gently, first one was WHOA Nelly! I guess I'll look for a cooler with even bigger tubing in an attempt to have less (no?) resistance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Something doesn't sound right. Are you positive you have the cooler in the final return line to the reservoir? And not in a high pressure line? Properly located, the cooler shouldn't provide any resistance as GWL already said. Assuming that it's the same size tubing as the rest of the line. That final return line is after the boost has been provided by the pump and is basically just returning the fluid to the reservoir to be reused. I've installed a relatively compact Derale 13310 on my builds, with and without hydroboost. Certainly haven't detected any effect on the boost level. Maybe not even needed for my mainly street driving. But thought it was cheap insurance. Has -6 AN threads and is easy to add. I've also heard good things about Honda PS fluid and use it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by plschulten View Post
    Got a hydraboost setup on my coupe for PS and PB. Problem is, the power steering fluid overheats. Doesn't work very well when it gets really hot, and am changing the fluid with every oil change. Tried installing two different PS coolers, but they make too much resistance and it applies the brakes. Any ideas? Thanks
    I had a similar situation with my setup. I am using the march power steering unit with the attached billet reservoir. The brakes would start to lockup after driving a while and everything heated up. My particular issue was the reservoir was not vented and it was too small. I tapped the top of the reservoir and ran a line to a CNC vented reservoir that more than doubled the fluid volume. Have not had an issue since.
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    No pic

Post Thanks / Like

Picture

Here is a picture I was able to find. You can also see my power steering cooler in the picture.

PowerSteeringPump.jpg
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Just realized I didn't include a link so here is a sub for the flex-a-lite one I have but is no longer made
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13311/overview/
    But, since your problem may be specific to a car w/ hydro boost, this may not be worthwhile.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.