Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newbie question

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie question

Thinking of buying a finished 33 ford roadster. My question is it doesn’t have a top,does anyone know where you can buy the top and also how hard is it to install.thanks

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this is a FFR 33HR check the FFR web page under 33HR parts. You have a choice between soft top ($3549) and hard top ($1999). Can't tell you how difficult it is to R&R I made mine permanent.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo409 View Post
    Thinking of buying a finished 33 ford roadster. My question is it doesn’t have a top,does anyone know where you can buy the top and also how hard is it to install.thanks
    The quality and fit of the FFR 33 HR rag top is excellent. I installed it myself with no assistance and it went quite well. I had to undo the "waterfall" behind the seats and lift it clear to install the part that holds the top to the body just behind the doors. That took some effort, but it worked successfully. I managed that without removing the roll bar. It would have been easier to disconnect the roll bar and remove/reinstall it.

I feel my soft top is quieter than my hard top at highway speeds. Wind noise is about the same, but the "drum" effect from the exhaust/vibrations at around 1800 RPM is much less with the soft top.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    A good question to ask to go along with this is do you want windows on the doors to go along with the top and are there windows already. The kit come without the holes for windows cut in the top of the doors as a lot of roadsters never add door windows. If you need to add windows inside the doors, that is not the easiest or shortest job. I had not thought that would be a big deal until I went to the build school. Installing the universal power window kit inside that small door with everything else that is in there seemed like the hand version of the Chinese handcuffs kids play with. You need to cram you hands in their with all kinds of stuff to get nuts on and what not. I believe the Brits would call it fiddly. The instructors at the build school did one door so they could show it at the build school and they said it took them all day to do the one door. I decided after seeing it at the build school to just build a roadster without door windows and save myself a lot of grief. That may be what happed with the build you are looking at.