Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 1 body fitment at firewall

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 1 body fitment at firewall

So first trial fit of the body on the frame. I have the chrome tilt steering column and the bottom of the dash is hitting the column before the body comes all the way down to the top of the firewall on the driver's side as shown in these pics.

IMG_2946a.jpg IMG_2947a.jpg

However, as it sits, it seems like the cowl is pretty much level. I recall reading in some threads where one side needed to be shimmed up anyway to make it level. Was that the driver's side and is this making sense?
    For reference, the bottom of the body side sill is even with the bottom of the frame on the passenger side but is slightly above the bottom of the frame on the driver side.

Thanks
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    So first trial fit of the body on the frame. I have the chrome tilt steering column and the bottom of the dash is hitting the column before the body comes all the way down to the top of the firewall on the driver's side as shown in these pics.

IMG_2946a.jpg IMG_2947a.jpg

However, as it sits, it seems like the cowl is pretty much level. I recall reading in some threads where one side needed to be shimmed up anyway to make it level. Was that the driver's side and is this making sense?
    For reference, the bottom of the body side sill is even with the bottom of the frame on the passenger side but is slightly above the bottom of the frame on the driver side.

Thanks
    Steve
    Mine fit the same way however was better once I had raised the rear of the body to get that critical dimension (45.5" maybe, cant remember) that FFR requires for the door and Hardtop fitment. Clamp the front and then get it level as best as possible, then raise the rear to get the diomession and it will be a bit better. In the end I was able to adjust that area a bit to make it less apparent. Unfortunately the gap below that (vertical portion) is the bigger challenge to seal up and have it look right.
    20180522_111624.jpg 20180522_111618.jpg 20180522_111611.jpg 20180522_111638.jpg
    Last edited by AJT '33; 06-25-2019 at 07:00 AM.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

3. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post