FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cockpit rear wall sheetmetal issue

Post Thanks / Like

Cockpit rear wall sheetmetal issue

I'm slooooowly working my way through fitting up all the sheet metal as time permits. I'm now working on the cockpit rear wall, and have run into an issue that I'm not quite sure how to address. The bend in the rear wall appears to be off, and it's not allowing me to get the rear wall aligned with the PS corner piece. I'm assuming the little notches in the sheet metal are guides when fabbing the sheet metal on where to bend it. It looks to me like the rear wall sheet metal piece was just placed in the brake wrong when it was bent. The DS is spot on with the notch, but the PS is off by a good 1/2". I've temporarily clamped the corner pieces to the rear wall with the top corners matching up, and the DS fits perfectly but the PS is way off. As near as I can figure, my options are:

1- install as shown and fill the gap with caulk and cover it up with carpet.

2- try to straighten and re-bend the rear wall. I'd probably have to take it to an HVAC or sheet metal shop, as I don't think I could bend a piece this long myself.

3- Call FFR and see if they'd send me a new piece? Not sure if this sort of misalignment is something that we're just expected to be able to deal with as part of the build process, or if this would be considered a defective part?

Any and all input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will have a hard time trying to re-bend that correctly. Show that to FFR and I'm sure they'll sent you a new one.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The seat belt openings of the rear cockpit piece need to come up a bit so that the bottom of the opening is nearly even with the 3/4" square cross tube.
    I started with the rear cockpit piece and held it in place with CLECO fasteners and then finagled the side pieces to fit.
    I had the same issue so I scooted the rear piece up and solved my problem.
    Do you think that would work for you?
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-23-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, I don't think that would help me. I've tried jockeying things around every way I can think of. The way I have the panels currently positioned, everything fits properly except for that one joint at the rear wall to corner piece, i.e., all the panels (cockpit rear wall and both corner pieces) meet up with the floor panels properly and meet up with each other at the top edge correctly. I also have a uniform 'reveal' of the 3/4" tube in the seat belt cutouts across all the cutouts. If I try shifting things around to get this one bend to line up I end up with several other things out of alignment.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was clearly bent wrong. You can see the "hole" reference bend point that FFR missed. They should send you a new panel. Problem will be shipping a panel like that.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    That was clearly bent wrong. You can see the "hole" reference bend point that FFR missed. They should send you a new panel. Problem will be shipping a panel like that.
    Yep - I agree. Call FFR and ask them to ship you a new panel. They will take care of you. That panel will need to go freight, but it can be shipped.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, everyone. I'll give them a call tomorrow. They're always excellent to deal with whenever I've had an issue or a question.

Post Thanks / Like
    What if you take the outer panel to a local sheet metal shop and ask them to move the bend in it to better match the center panel?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    CraigS - that probably would have worked. However, I called up FFR today and shared the photos with them and they agreed that that piece was made wrong and are shipping out a replacement part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see FFR making it right. now you have a nice piece of al to make other things from.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    CraigS - that probably would have worked. However, I called up FFR today and shared the photos with them and they agreed that that piece was made wrong and are shipping out a replacement part.
    Of course they did, thats what FFR does, stand behind their product.

12. Thanks BEAR-AvHistory, phileas_fogg thanked for this post