Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: dual clutch transmission

Post Thanks / Like

dual clutch transmission

Has any one put a dct in their cobra build. understand Tremec is producing a dct for the 2020 Mustang. Sounds interesting. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Automatic transmissions while done are relatively rare. Have never seen any mention of a dual clutch setup. Not even aware anything is available that would be suitable. Interesting? Not to me. Call me old fashioned.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just read an article recently about a shop in Texas converting Ferrari F430s from paddle shift auto trans (not sure if they were Dual clutch yet?). They were the last Ferrari’s still available as manuals so not too much trouble to convert.
    Apparently manuals are so in demand in the resale market the added value to the car more than covers the $30k or whatever it was cost of conversion.
    New buyers wanted Auto latest tech, used buyers want fun and engaging to drive.

I think a Dual clutch in a cobra is the antithesis of what driving a cobra is all about, but to each their own.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you are referring to twin disk clutch, then McLeod makes one for Mustang applications, but they only list up to 2017.

https://www.mcleodracing.com/index.p...k/category/22/

If DCT is an acronym, then count me out because I speak in words instead of acronyms. If it is a paddle shifted automatic transmission is your thing, then Count Me Out!

Regarding a twin disk, I had that set up in my old C-4 Corvette and it was far from necessary, actually a waste of money because it was kind of "Grabby" since I didn't make near the horsepower that the clutch was designed for...For the record I've got their single disk set up in my Cobra, which sports the exact same transmission as the C-4 and makes a lot more ponies with 1200 fewer pounds to push.

Unless you are sporting some serious slicks, I think the tires will give up the ghost before any decent single performance clutch will.

NOTE!...It still frustrates me that Hardly Anybody can drive a stick anymore unless they are over 50.
    ....=....My younger pals took me to NOLA Motorsport to drive paddle shifted "Stupid Cars" and this Chevy & Mopar Loving Guy chose to drive one of their Ford Mustangs instead.

My Rant Is Over!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-23-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look on tremec website you'll see the dimensions of the transmission(s) .. there's any major modifications to be done to the frame and body work...

Post Thanks / Like
    My daily driver (AMG Mercedes) has a dual clutch transmission (they call it an MCT). It's a fabulous gearbox. Blistering fast paddle shifts in "sport +" mode and silky smooth in "comfort mode". Auto downshifts when braking hard into a turn is very cool. I absolutely love it. That said, there's no way I'd put that in a roadster. Part of the allure of this car *to me* is a manual gearbox. But to each their own. If you're going for a modern spin on a cobra, then a paddle-shifted dual clutch trans would be a pretty cool part of that.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    If you are referring to twin disk clutch, then McLeod makes one for Mustang applications, but they only list up to 2017.

https://www.mcleodracing.com/index.p...k/category/22/

If DCT is an acronym, then count me out because I speak in words instead of acronyms. If it is a paddle shifted automatic transmission is your thing, then Count Me Out!

Regarding a twin disk, I had that set up in my old C-4 Corvette and it was far from necessary, actually a waste of money because it was kind of "Grabby" since I didn't make near the horsepower that the clutch was designed for...For the record I've got their single disk set up in my Cobra, which sports the exact same transmission as the C-4 and makes a lot more ponies with 1200 fewer pounds to push.

Unless you are sporting some serious slicks, I think the tires will give up the ghost before any decent single performance clutch will.

NOTE!...It still frustrates me that Hardly Anybody can drive a stick anymore unless they are over 50.
    ....=....My younger pals took me to NOLA Motorsport to drive paddle shifted "Stupid Cars" and this Chevy & Mopar Loving Guy chose to drive one of their Ford Mustangs instead.

My Rant Is Over!
    Going to agree 100% with you, and it's not a RANT, just facts. Can't drive a stick, get a Prius.

8. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's not a stick shift, it's a "Millenial Anti-theft Device!"
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

10. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes mike223 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    That's not a stick shift, it's a "Millenial Anti-theft Device!"
    That's no joke. I offered to match whatever my daughter could save for her first car but only if she bought a manual trans vehicle. She is the only one of her group of friends that can operate a clutch.

12. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: "That's not a stick shift, it's a "Millenial Anti-theft Device" . . . also an anti-texting while driving device. If you are shifting, you have no time to text.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

14. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have owned cars with DCT transmissions & would install one in a COBRA in a heart beat if top performance rather then nostalgia was the most important item. Main issue its the ECU & software requirements for the transmission. Expect a wrecked Mustang 5.2 & DCT with its electronics would be required to source the project. Major league expense.

Not simply a standard auto has a torque converter & a series of bands & sun gears in the "gear box" section. A DCT has traditional cut gear sets same as any standard transmission with computer controlled clutches & shift linkage.

The only difference from a standard transmission in the gear box section is 1st, 3rd, 5th & 7th are connected to one clutch & 2nd, 4th, 6th & R to the other. Shifting up/down & gear hold in speed are selected by the paddles.

TREMEC 7DCT

Don't think there is any question from a pure performance point of view a 7DCT will eat a 5 or 6MT lunch no matter who is driving the MT. Personally not either anti MT, AT or DCT each has its good & bad points. Driveway has 3MT, 1AT & 1DCT on it now.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-24-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pleased to report that my 19 year-old son was only interested in a manual transmission on his first car ('04 Legacy GT) and recently bought me a Father's Day t-shirt gift from the Manual Gearbox Preservation Society. The skill may be declining, but it's not going away.
    https://thecurbshop.com/collections/tmgps
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

17. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    I'm pleased to report that my 19 year-old son was only interested in a manual transmission on his first car ('04 Legacy GT) and recently bought me a Father's Day t-shirt gift from the Manual Gearbox Preservation Society. The skill may be declining, but it's not going away.
    https://thecurbshop.com/collections/tmgps
    I just ordered a shirt for my son, brother and wife.
    Was surprised that they had my pattern.
    We Are A Shifty Bunch!
    Thanks-O-Million!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the McLeod original street twin setup in mine. Of course it's a manual, not an AT, and kind of overkill for such a light car but I got it as part of a package deal with a matching AL flywheel, 3550, LW blowshield, all still in boxes for $1350 plus shipping....very smooth, progressive, and light pedal effort for a clutch rated to1200hp!....
    Last edited by FFR3588K; 06-24-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't say I've ever heard of anybody doing it but it does sound interesting. I have to think a paddle shifted Cobra would turn some heads.

Post Thanks / Like
    A guy by the handle of PSB on the other forum installed a 4R70W in a Hunter Cobra replica, around 2013. He stated in 2014 that he'd sold that car, and his photos no longer appear in the thread, though he is apparently still active on that forum. Anyway, he had push buttons on his steering wheel, a la paddle shifters.

It was a project I had considered, to someday swap out my AOD for a 4R70W, but dual-clutch is interesting, too.

-Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Install a DCT? No, we're REAL men.

Now that I have met my obligation for giving you a hard time. Some random thoughts....

If it's really about ultimate performance. Yes a DCT can shift faster than any of us. Great argument on a Porsche GT3. However, if you need a few extra hundredths a lap, why would you be driving a replica of a 50+ year old car?

One thing that would be a serious concern, is that either you or the system better be able to handle rev-matching on downshifts. Short wheelbase, light weight, and high torque lends itself to trailing throttle oversteer. I can see trail-braking and a pull of that left paddle being a really bad combination. You are much more likely to try that with paddles.

Not my thing, but if you just like it......why not? Carroll Shelby was a fan of automatics (or so he said), which is unusual for a race car driver from that era.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Carroll Shelby was a fan of automatics (or so he said), which is unusual for a race car driver from that era.
    Great Point Avalanche!

CSX 3015 was an automatic as was CSX 3178.

https://youtu.be/9h19OZH1a0k

https://youtu.be/FJpASOjJWa8

Another Interesting Automatic Nugget that I found:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0515-21...obra-roadster/
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-24-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

My Rant Is Over!

All 3 of my kids (2 daughters / 1 son) started on manual shift cars and they still enjoy driving a stick. (Yes - they can all drive the Cobra)
    Many advantages:
    - Got 2 of the cars very cheap because they needed a clutch and got to teach them how to put a new one in.
    - When they went to college, their friends would ask to borrow their car but none of them could drive a stick.
    - Manual transmissions are pretty durable. Ever pay to get an automatic tranny repaired? Ouch!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a dual clutch transmission in my 2018 911 (PDK) it is a thing of beauty and an amazing mechanical piece. Just doesn't seem right to put one in a Cobra though!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

27. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bet I'd learn a TON from someone crazy enough to install a DCT in one of our cars...and so I'M ALL FOR IT!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    What about sequential transmissions? I know they have them behind 3000 horsepower of vipers and Corvettes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the comments from those who know what a DCT is. It is not an automatic, but a dual clutch manual transmission that has lightning fast shifts, in many cases faster than an automatic. For the flamers that insinuate that I can't drive a manual, I grew up on a farm and didn't have an automatic for years. I learned to drive a manual, and still have more than one manually shifted vehicle. I didn't realize the controversy I would generate with a simple question. Build it like you want as long everyone agrees.
    Again thanks for those who had informed and considerate replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    To me it's about building a car that no one else has, and has amazing performance. Not that the traditional cobra is not amazing enough as it is.
    thanks
    rcflash

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rcflash View Post
    I appreciate the comments from those who know what a DCT is. It is not an automatic, but a dual clutch manual transmission that has lightning fast shifts, in many cases faster than an automatic. For the flamers that insinuate that I can't drive a manual, I grew up on a farm and didn't have an automatic for years. I learned to drive a manual, and still have more than one manually shifted vehicle. I didn't realize the controversy I would generate with a simple question. Build it like you want as long everyone agrees.
    Again thanks for those who had informed and considerate replies.
    I know what DCT is. I responded in the context of an automatic transmission because DCT setups don't have a manual clutch or clutch pedal. You have to admit that many of the answers were along those lines, e.g. not having to drive with a clutch pedal. I would hardly call the discussion controversial. Didn't see any flaming either. You ask for opinions and got them. There's no way to predict the twist and turns some threads take. If you didn't want to hear a lot of opinions, e.g. had your mind made up already, maybe don't ask. And especially don't take personal offense as it sounds like you did. Most, including me, prefer the old school clutch/manual transmission setup for these cars. But by all means do what you want.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-26-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rcflash: I understand what a DCT is, and based on my experience with my setup (see my signature line), I think it might be a neat, but scary setup. Mine is traction limited even in 4th gear rolling on the throttle! With lightning quick shifts, you will need to stay on top of your driving to keep it straight! Kinda sounds like a blast!

Frankb
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    The beauty of the replica car is the opportunity to do as one pleases or budgets allow. If you can squeeze it in and it warms your heart go for it.

As EdwardB and others mentioned and I'd certainly agree, if it doesn't have three pedals, needs to be manually shifted and needs a clutch to launch it's an auto in my book. Perhaps not yours and that's OK. Differing opinions, w/o dumping in each other's mess kits, is what makes this endeavor so much fun.

Jim - Save the Manuals. I'm old, ornery and occasionally harsh & caustic, OK more than "occasionally".
    Now you guys got me all charged up. I'm sending in my cash.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-headquarters/
    In 22 cars (??) and probably a million miles, I've had 3 autos, hated 'em all. Did drive a VW GTi with the DCT (edit, sorry not DCT was DSG) OK, but I still wouldn't buy it.
    Last edited by Jim1855; 06-27-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to quintal Transmission..

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...-transmission/

Post Thanks / Like
    A true DCT... SMG... bla bla bla whatever the letters you want to use, it all boils down to it’s a manual gearbox with a clutch that is computer controlled. They shift fast and drive like an automatic. But they HAVE a clutch. Which you can fry trying to hold your car on a hill just like you would if you tried with a clutch pedal. Even my 2019 Kia Niro has some sort of DCT trans in it. LOTS of electronics involved that would kind of be cost prohibitive for most of us and our cars. They have their place but I feel like most of us and say WHY?

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcdata View Post
    What about sequential transmissions? I know they have them behind 3000 horsepower of vipers and Corvettes.
    Anytime.
    https://shop.quaife.co.uk/ford-musta...ential-gearbox
    Last edited by totem; 06-30-2019 at 05:33 PM.