Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: First Go Kart Video - and brake issue/question

Post Thanks / Like

First Go Kart Video - and brake issue/question

Here is a video of the first go kart. It's terrible quality as the gopro was just clamped to the sheet metal at the rear of the cockpit, making for a shakey and noisy video, but here it is:

About 2 min in, a rubbing noise begins in the rear passenger wheel area. Figured it was the brake pistons trying to sort out it's position and was hard to hear consistently. I took my son and later my wife for a ride, and the noise was definitely still there. Pulling back into the garage revealed a very small bit of smoke coming from the rear passenger brake pads.

I'm guessing I've got a stickey caliper? Should I pull it and push in the pistons? These are Mike Forte's mustang brakes on a Moser rear I bought from him. Thoughts welcome.

--Nathan
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

2. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Forte rear rotors were too big(height) for my calipers and would hit causing noise.... I had the rotors turned by a machinist to make them a smaller diameter.
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    I also replied on the other forum about the parking brake sticking on.
    I also had the same issue as brewha, when I called Mike he said just to enlarge the caliber bracket holes a bit so you can move the caliber away from the rotor. Says it’s that way to get as close as you can for clearing 15” wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys. Good ideas. I'll check both of those things.

My son had a blast (me too!).

MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to check the parking brake to make sure it is not dragging

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Brewha and murd nailed it. Thanks, guys. The parking brake may be dragging a tad bit, but the rotor was carving a groove into the caliper. I clearanced the holes a small amount and now have free rotation without rubbing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad is was an easy fix. Your car sounds great!!!