BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dash position with Replica Parts under dash support panel

Post Thanks / Like

Dash position with Replica Parts under dash support panel

Today I installed the Replica Parts underdash support/filler panel. It looks like a very nice piece and I like how it totally encloses the underside of the dash and gives me plenty of space to mount stuff. I'm still debating how I'll finish it. One question I have is with regard to the dash position I end up with when using this filler panel. The filler panel can really only go in one position, as it attaches to the 2" tube and then has to follow the angle of the steering support brace, so this pretty well defines where the dash ends up. However, when I look at where the top of the dash relative to the 3/4" hoop and compare that to most photos I've seen, it seems really high to me. If needed, I could use some spacers between the panel and the lower edge of the dash to drop the dash, but I'm wondering if this position is in the ballpark, or way off?

Note that I'll be using the RT turn signal setup, so I'm not very concerned with the vertical position of the steering shaft hole at the moment, as I'll need to modify it.

Thanks,
    John

Last edited by JohnK; 06-23-2019 at 11:30 PM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using FFR's composite dash and the under dash support. I ended up flexing my support down a bit once it was riveted in place to lower the dash position.
    Last edited by silver_pilate; 06-23-2019 at 11:25 PM.
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

Post Thanks / Like
    How did you do that on the driver's side? Doesn't the steering bracket prevent the dash support from flexing down, or did you cut the support around the bracket?
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like you have a more recent version of the Mk4. The earlier Mk4 did not have a steering mount bracket that large. You need to get your dash much lower than that. You will probably have to modify the under dash filler panel to clear the steering bracket completely. I will try and find you a picture.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you get that from Breeze or Replica Parts? I didn't see one like that on the Breeze site, but with the Replica Parts underdash support, I had to cut around the new steering bracket. It comes out quite a bit versus the older MKIV design. You don't have a lot of metal left on the left side of the steering column after you do that, so I just cut it completely off on the right side. That will bring it down significantly from what you show in the picture.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, my Mk4 doesn't have that large support.
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Did you get that from Breeze or Replica Parts? I didn't see one like that on the Breeze site, but with the Replica Parts underdash support, I had to cut around the new steering bracket. It comes out quite a bit versus the older MKIV design. You don't have a lot of metal left on the left side of the steering column after you do that, so I just cut it completely off on the right side. That will bring it down significantly from what you show in the picture.
    Haha - yes, you're right... it's a Replica Parts part. I've ordered parts from a few places lately and got confused. Thanks - sounds like I need to do a little surgery to the filler panel.

Edit: I've updated my original post so as not to confuse others.

Post Thanks / Like

Under Dash Panel

Probably wont help you much as this is not the replica parts panel and my mk4 is an earlier version. You do need to get below that bracket though.

Attached Images Attached Images
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you - that's very helpful.

-John

Post Thanks / Like
    John. I would just cut the under dash filler off just to the right of the new steering block. It will fit much better and be at the proper height. I need to update my instructions to for this new change.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    John, Just a note regarding the RT turn signal unit. You may already know that you can separate the hub from the shaft. I didn't, and it caused some real issues trying to get it in place after the dash was in, and the steering shaft was in place. With it separated, you can put the shaft part in place before you place the dash, and will have to trim the shaft opening a lot less. It's the large screw on the side of the hub. Just loosen it and it comes off the column portion.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Mike and Rick. I appreciate the help!

-John

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that did the trick. I cut off the part of the filler panel from the right edge of the steering bracket. Now I'm able to get the lower edge of the dash under that steering bracket, which drops it considerably. These photos show where the dash is sitting now, which is with the lower edge up tight to the bottom of the steering bracket. The dash can go down from here if needed, it just can't go up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the underdash panel on an older Mk4 with the vinyl dash. Really gives a lot of support to the dash. One thing I would recommend is cutting at least one access hole in it for possible future use. Good luck.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't tell from your photos, but you're going to want the dash to go down such that at least 1/8"-3/16" of the dash hoop is showing at the ends.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Today I installed the Replica Parts underdash support/filler panel.......
    John, I made a similar support for my MK4, only not as wide. Drove for about 4 months in gel coat and had a RT turn signal relay (purchased on ebay) go bad. I couldn't get to the relay... it was mounted on that panel, but on the inside. Luckily I had planned to remove the body for paint. With body removed, I removed the panel and bent the lip that was sitting on the 3" frame rail 90 degrees (and trimmed all but 3/4" off), used rivet nuts, and mounted it to the face of the 3" rail. Now it's removable if another relay fails. Sorry, don't have a pic

Not sure what you're covering up and what you might want to get to in the future.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 07-05-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    John, I made a similar support for my MK4, only not as wide. Drove for about 4 months in gel coat and had a RT turn signal relay (purchased on ebay) go bad. I couldn't get to the relay... it was mounted on that panel, but on the inside. Luckily I had planned to remove the body for paint. With body removed, I removed the panel and bent the lip that was sitting on the 3" frame rail 90 degrees (and trimmed all but 3/4" off), used rivet nuts, and mounted it to the face of the 3" rail. Now it's removable if another relay fails. Sorry, don't have a pic

Not sure what you're covering up and what you might want to get to in the future.
    That's a good idea and something I thought about before. I eventually decided not to use the under dash panel at all, but used 4 of the Breeze dash supports. Main reason was access. There are so many things that I can get to without it in the way with little effort in terms of removing anything.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2