Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Starting Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Starting Issue

I upgraded my '91 based 302 with 24 lb injectors and new BBK 70mm throttle body and 24lb MAF. I can't get it to start. Did the initial setup-disconnected the AF valve. Fires once. If I turn off and retry, it fires once. That's it. I called BBK and was underwhelmed. Maybe turn in the idle stop screw a whole lot until it (hopefully) fires? Waiting for the battery to recharge. One other thing- I'm using a '94 style MAF, #8009. This shouldn't make any difference, should it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure whether the A9L ECU that is in your car is compatible with a '94 MAF.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a quick check of my service manual for 94 Mustang. MAF should read 0.2 to 1.5 volts at idle at the signal pin. I don't have a manual for 93 and earlier but, online research indicates 0.6 volts at idle. The part numbers are not the same and there are no common use after market ones available. Try unplugging the MAF and see if it fires.

HTH

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll try unplugging the MAF tomorrow.
    Previously, I was using a '94 MAF with 19lb injectors and a 65mm throttle body. Car ran nicely with that combo so I thought a 94 MAF for the 24lb injectors would be OK- but maybe not.
    Thanks to Norm and Jeff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update:
    Installed a MAF for a '91 and all is well. Norm and Jeff were right on- a '94 MAF didn't work with the '91 ecu.
    Thanks guys!