FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: 347 engine choice

Post Thanks / Like

347 engine choice

I am way ahead of ordering the powertrain. Probably about 6 months out. However, I can dream.... I am set on a 347 SBF. I think it is the right balance between price and performance for me. Right now, I'm comparing the Factory 5 and the Forte, both with the transmission. The price of each is very close and seem to have a similar buildup. Can anyone provide some opinions on which would be a preferred choice? I do plan on taking this car out to the dragstrip and track just for fun.

https://fortesparts.com/index.php/pr...ge-bestseller/

https://www.factoryfiveengines.com/b...carbureted-mk4

Terry

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I do plan on taking this car out to the dragstrip and track just for fun."

Read the rule book before you start your build.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with a Forte 347 with Holley Sniper EFI. Very happy with it and Mike is very helpful and responsive even now 2 years after my purchase. Goodluck!

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mark, your build is one that I have printed out and in my assembly notebook.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the utmost respect for Blueprint (Factory five engines), they have great packages and have super support. The Forte 347 is basedon a Dart block whuch will be more robust andcapable of producing more power if you change parts down the road.
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    "I do plan on taking this car out to the dragstrip and track just for fun."

Read the rule book before you start your build.
    +1

Times change, and the insurance company safety nazis demand a NHRA / IHRA approved 6 point bar under 13.59 for a "convertible" (and you'll not likely make that work in a "safe" "street" roadster).

Below 11.49 you'd need a certified cage (regardless of what you see on youtube).

Pretty hard to go wrong with a 347 from a reputable builder - not necessarily easy to pass tech at the dragstrip...

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered a 351? Stronger main cap bolts, stronger head bolts, stronger oil pump shaft, same displacement w/ no need for crazy rods and pistons.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go with Mike Forte's Dart 347 make sure you get his motor mounts he has for the Dart block. I used the mounts with the FFR complete kit and had to "massage" them with a grinder so they would fit. Also I would get a Quicktime bell housing, I didn't and wish I had if I ever want to do any track days.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't speak to Mike's engines, but my experience with BluePrint has been fantastic. My 347 came completely assembled, including the clutch and transmission. I'd bet it is as close to plug and play as you'll find from any source for a FFR car.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    +1

Times change, and the insurance company safety nazis demand a NHRA / IHRA approved 6 point bar under 13.59 for a "convertible" (and you'll not likely make that work in a "safe" "street" roadster).

Below 11.49 you'd need a certified cage (regardless of what you see on youtube).

Pretty hard to go wrong with a 347 from a reputable builder - not necessarily easy to pass tech at the dragstrip...
    I used to do bracket racing about 20 years ago. I haven't been back to the strip since, and never in a convertible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I can't speak to Mike's engines, but my experience with BluePrint has been fantastic. My 347 came completely assembled, including the clutch and transmission. I'd bet it is as close to plug and play as you'll find from any source for a FFR car.

Dave
    Papa, did you go with the carb or FI? The single part number "plug and play" is what I like most about the BluePrint option. I'm going to read through your build tonight when I have more time.

Thanks,

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    If you go with Mike Forte's Dart 347 make sure you get his motor mounts he has for the Dart block. I used the mounts with the FFR complete kit and had to "massage" them with a grinder so they would fit. Also I would get a Quicktime bell housing, I didn't and wish I had if I ever want to do any track days.
    JR
    I'm reading through Mark Eaton's build and he had this exact issue with the motor mounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    To echo CraigS and others, go with a 351 or Dart based block if you want extra cubes. I hate to throw the anecdotal horror story in the thread..... but...... Motor #2 is coming out of the car. I ordered a Dart 363 block last night. If I were doing this all over again, I would have started with a 351 based engine.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    To echo CraigS and others, go with a 351 or Dart based block if you want extra cubes. I hate to throw the anecdotal horror story in the thread..... but...... Motor #2 is coming out of the car. I ordered a Dart 363 block last night. If I were doing this all over again, I would have started with a 351 based engine.
    Regarding a 347 vs 351, I don't know much about Ford power plants, but DART make GOOD PARTS!

Regarding Scottiec's issue; Dang That Stinks Mr. Scott!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-25-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Engines look almost identical . . . personally, I'd go with an EFI upgrade for all around driving conditions. knowing where you live means you will want to go to the mountains (there are no "twisty roads" on the desert floor) and might even want to experience the Huntington Beach Cruise-In next year (if you get the car to gel-coat drivable by end of April). That means from sea-level to 10K feet . . . somewhat tough to do with a carb <-- just my 2¢. If you ever want to add power adders like turbos or a blower, go with the Dart block version.

Suspension upgrades are called for if you want to track or auto-cross the car - different mods then for drag cars.

Also just an opinion, I agree with the statements above about going to a 351. I've never been a fan of pushing out an engine to its limits (stroke and bore) when another engine is available that is already that size. I understand your need for a small block "footprint" in the engine compartmenthaving read your posts about big-n-tall guys . . . the foot box mods for more interior room are more easily done and more beneficial with a SBF.

All just my opinion - helping you to find ways to spend your money . . . Ha Ha Ha

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 06-25-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    Papa, did you go with the carb or FI? The single part number "plug and play" is what I like most about the BluePrint option. I'm going to read through your build tonight when I have more time.

Thanks,

Terry
    I went EFI with power steering. When you order from BPE, that's all you need to specify and they do all the work mounting, installing, etc. all the components.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    If you plan to track the car I would go either 351 or Dart/Boss block
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to have the 351 based motor. I would also love to have a 427 based motor. However, I'm going to have to get a second job at Jack in the Box drive through working the midnight shift to stretch the budget for EFI in a small block. I'm very sure that a small block will get me over the mountains into California. A small block will be able to get the car around the track, just for fun, without exploding, and put a smile on my face. A small block will not throw a rod or spin a main bearing going WOT to get onto the highway.

I have no plans or desire to install a supercharger, nitrous, or a turbo "down the road." I want a motor, that is the best compromise for dollar spent for performance for a street car. I'm willing to bet that a small block will last 50k + miles with the occasional spirited driving session.

Thanks for the opinions, there is so much information to learn.
    Last edited by TMartinLVNV; 06-25-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just to clarify, a 351 is a small block.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

20. Likes mburger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to step on anyone's toes but 351's are actually medium blocks . . . no one calls them that but "old FORD guys". 351's (Windsor) are a different block than SBF's and don't have many interchangeable parts. They are wider, taller and heavier.

Old FORD guys will tell you that SBF's are: 221, 260, 289, 302 (5.0) - medium blocks are: 351 & the little spoken about 400, BIG blocks (FE's) are: 332, 352, 390, 406, 410, 427 and 428 (two different engines even though they are 1 Cubic Inch apart). Some throw in the 429 and 460 as Big Blocks, although they are a completely different block than the FE's, with NO interchangeable parts.
    All the engines mentioned can be made to be bigger displacement-wise.

Generically, the [approx.] weight between those mentioned is: SBF = 450, Medium block = 550, Big Block = 670, 429/460 = 640 (due to the design of the "V" block, similar to a SBF). All can be made quite a few pounds lighter with aluminum manifolds and heads, even more so with aluminum blocks. For contrast, an all aluminum Big Block weighs what a cast iron SBF weighs, approximately . . .

Just bringing some facts to the table
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

22. Likes NAZ, SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote here for the Blueprint 347. I'm just now in go kart stage so I have not pushed the drive train but the dyno shows roughly 420 HP and 420 foot pounds of torque. More than enough. The best part was how easy it was to install the engine and wire up the Holley Sniper EFI. I'm not sure how much closer you can get to "plug and play".

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy, that is what attracts me to the Blueprint. I do like the Dart block of the Forte build though. I think his will be just a bit more expensive than the Blueprint. I could accept that. However, his seems to be down about 40 hp than what Blueprints are getting.

In the end, I don't think that the Forte will be much more difficult to install than the Blueprint. The motor mounts will need to be the correct ones for the Dart block.

I did decide to go with FI over the carb. I already changed my order with FFR to add the in tank fuel system. I grew up in the FI age (44 years old) and am much more familiar with them than carbs.

Terry

25. Likes speedfreak1211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    D**m dude; three engines in less than a year! You're going to give Chepsk8 a run for his money!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    http://fortesparts.com/index.php/dealers-page/

Forte lists himself as a blueprint dealer. Am I missing something? I thought the 347 from Mike was a blueprint. And I thought they were both dart blocks.
    Last edited by Desert Snake; 06-26-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    D**m dude; three engines in less than a year! You're going to give Chepsk8 a run for his money!

John
    Kids - Don't do junkyards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forte's website shows a coyote and 3 different Dart block motors. the 347 has 2 vids, one mild and one wild. difference looks to be about 80 Hp or so and 30 tq. My guess would be a little more cost the more Hp/Tq you get but you'll have to call for that info. If he is a "dealer" of the BPE engines, I wonder if it is the FFR version or the Summit/Jegs version. Johnny (the BPE rep that came to the build school) said that the 347 that they make for FFR has better internals than the one from Summit, so you are actually getting a better motor and better deal by getting it from BPE vs calling Summit or another BPE dealer for a 347 BPE . . . . I never heard Johnny say anything about the blocks being Dart. admittedly I don't know anything about engines, but I have heard that name before and would have remembered it. he did say the blocks are all refurbished, except the 427's which is part of why they cost so much more. both websites (Forte's and BPE) have a list of specs and stuff but I don't know how they compare to each other so maybe somebody else can chime in . . . .

PS - heard nothing but good about both BPE and Forte

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike’s 347 is a Dart block. He can also make a 347 mild to wild as you like by changing internals. He built my 351 and when he ran out of E303 cam, he took one of his custom racing ones which provided more go and had a great lumpy idle. His engine will be turnkey when you get it and can even connect the transmission for you like he did mine.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    I am way ahead of ordering the powertrain. Probably about 6 months out. However, I can dream.... I am set on a 347 SBF. I think it is the right balance between price and performance for me. Right now, I'm comparing the Factory 5 and the Forte, both with the transmission. The price of each is very close and seem to have a similar buildup. Can anyone provide some opinions on which would be a preferred choice? I do plan on taking this car out to the dragstrip and track just for fun.

https://fortesparts.com/index.php/pr...ge-bestseller/

https://www.factoryfiveengines.com/b...carbureted-mk4

Terry
    They both look like nice motors but I think I'd go with the Dart block all else being equal. Plus Mike's will be more of a custom build that you could modify to suit your specific needs/desires (e.g upgraded bearings, etc.). If you decide to go with the BP I'd swap the HV oil pump for a std. volume one and do some checking on here to see if the .82 gear in the TKO is what you want. I personally did a complete custom engine that I'm very happy with. My 2 cents. Scott
    Last edited by johnnybgoode; 06-26-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I didn't specify a shallow oil pan when I ordered from Mike so he put on a deep oil pan and it was close to 2" below the 4"frame tubes so I had to change the pan after the eng. was installed (rookie error). I used a Canton pan. So make sure you get the shallow pan installed by whom ever you get your eng. from.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info JR. Did you get the "mild" or "power" build? What did your dyno sheet say the output was?

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the dyno sheet for my BluePrint 347:

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry, I got kind of a mild build. HP368+ and Torque 384+ @5850 rpm
    JR
    Last edited by jrcuz; 06-30-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also went with Mike and so far he's been great to work with and very helpful. I haven't been able to get to the point of even starting it yet but I'm sure this thing will be plenty fun. It's a 347 Dart block with Holley Sniper and TKO all fully assembled.

Attachment 109648

Forte_347 Dyno.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Tufster, did you go with a "Power" build? Your numbers are considerably higher than what I've seen his other 347 motors at.

That is an impressive motor!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just called Mike and told him I wanted around 450 hp in a good steerable motor. He chose the components and worked his magic. Give him a call. Super knowledgeable and easy to work with.