Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sidepipe Location Question - without the body

Post Thanks / Like

Sidepipe Location Question - without the body

Sidepipe location with the body on has probably been asked a million times. How far from the body and how far from the ground. I want to ask if anyone had measurements for the sidepipes WITHOUT the body on the car? I know that I want the pipes to be level (bottom of pipe) with the round frame tubes. The question I have is whether there's a rough dimension as to how far off the 2 inch square tube on the side of the cockpit as well. I'm mocking up a header and the body is off for the next couple of weeks. Rather than wait until the body gets back on, I wanted to see if anyone has the measurements I mentioned so I can get the fabricator moving.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Scott. I wouldn't recommend doing anything until you have the body fitted. I suspect many will say the same. The body may/may not be exactly symmetrical to the frame. Especially on the left (drivers) side where the body needs to be pulled in/out to get the best door alignment. Since it sounds like you're having the headers custom made, I'd wait until you can get them exact. Whole bunch of variables there.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-25-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you are building your headers, not bolting on a pair that are made for your car then this may help:

I've got my side pipes (Muffler Section) about 3/8" above the round tubes.
    An easy way to do the initial layout is to use a couple of very strait 2X4's wedged up to the 4" round tubes to get to a starting point.
    Make sure the mufflers are sitting on the 2/4's and put a piece of 3/8" to 1/2" plywood on top to space them upward.
    Also, you really need to know where the openings are for the exhaust exists because this is a process that works best with the body on.
    Regarding how far off the side pipes are off of the square tubes, I will have to measure that distance for you when I get home this evening.
    Finally, Mark Reynolds at Breeze Automotive carries some super simple, super cool adjustment wedges that you may or may not need.

https://youtu.be/wOID7yvBRPU

If you are using headers that are designed for the car, then wait to hang the side pipes after the body is on.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-25-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What edwardb said. You can't nail down an exact sidepipe location until the body is installed and in it's final location with the doors fitted.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    If you are building your headers, not bolting on a pair that are made for your car then this may help:

Regarding how far off the side pipes are off of the square tubes, I will have to measure that distance for you when I get home this evening.

If you are using headers that are designed for the car, then wait to hang the side pipes after the body is on.
    I'm right at 6" from the inside of the square tube to the centerline of the pipe for both sides of the car.
    Also, when we fabbed up my headers the Body Was On so I'd suggest staying with that program.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on the band-wagon....name of the song is "Nothin Ain't Nothin Till the Body's on in the Right Place" Can't really dance to it but it's got a catchy hook...da bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Message Received. Wait until the body is back on. Should only be a couple of weeks, but I've got plenty to do between now and then. Thanks for the responses.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    For The Record Here Is How Your Respondents Stack Up Regarding Ability & Experience:

Jeff Kleiner / Master Professional Builder & Painter
    Jeff "Da-Bat" Miller / Master Professional Builder & Painter
    Edwardb / Master Hobbyist Multiple Personal Car Builder
    GoDadGo / 1st Time Hobbyist Dark Side Builder

If the three folks on the top of this list ever give you any advice, then my advice is to take it unless you are stuffing Small Block Chevy Power into your car. If you want to come over to the Dark Side then I can give you the measurements as to where to locate the engine, where to find the mounts and some affordable modifiable headers that will help you along if it is a Small Block Chevy or Chevy Style engine.

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-26-2019 at 07:14 AM.