FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote Lifting Brackets

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote Lifting Brackets

Hey all, I'm about to put in my Coyote and T56 with a Mike Forte supplied loaner lift bracket. Any specific advice or issues I should be aware of? Does anyone have any pictures of how you mounted his bracket? He says to hang it from a couple of the lower exhaust header studs, but those seem awfully small to me and I just wanted to make sure I hadn't misunderstood him.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was a bit skeptical of lifting by the header studs, but I've used Mike's lifting bracket a few times now and it works fine and those studs are plenty strong enough. My only advice is to position the brackets on one of the lower studs such that the upper studs on either side keep the bracket from rotating side to side. I got sloppy one time and didn't pay attention and put the lifting brackets on the upper studs, and the brackets slipped and the entire engine started to rotate. Luckily, I still had the cradle bolted to the engine so I was able to set it back down before things got really ugly.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    One more question while I have all of you: does the Coyote install in the Coupe use the engine mount spacers? The Coyote/Roadster install manual calls for them, but I see no mention of them in Coupe manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    One more question while I have all of you: does the Coyote install in the Coupe use the engine mount spacers? The Coyote/Roadster install manual calls for them, but I see no mention of them in Coupe manual.
    I installed them in mine. Based on my mock-up and subsequent installation, provides the best clearance for the oil pan and bell housing. I'm not far enough along to know for sure, but also might affect the header fit since the same headers are used on the Coyote for the Roadster and Coupe. So I'm guessing they took that into account. I don't think you'll find engine specific details, including the Coyote, in the Coupe build manual.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-25-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks @JohnK!

And thanks @edwardb— I will go with precedent and put them in!

Also in the same vein: the Coyote/Roadster manual shows some sort of "offset plate" (best I can describe) that is installed between the transmission and the rubber mount. The rubber mount has two pieces already, but they show a third custom FFR supplied piece that looks like it offsets the mount forward (or maybe rearward) to some degree. @edwardb I couldn't tell for sure but it looks like you just bolted the rubber transmission mount (two pieces) directly to the transmission without this plate. Did I see that right?

Edit: here is a screenshot of the plate I'm talking about (the topmost piece in light gray)—

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 11.34.12 PM.png

I'm assuming I do **not** need that, correct?
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 06-26-2019 at 01:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    Also in the same vein: the Coyote/Roadster manual shows some sort of "offset plate" (best I can describe) that is installed between the transmission and the rubber mount. The rubber mount has two pieces already, but they show a third custom FFR supplied piece that looks like it offsets the mount forward (or maybe rearward) to some degree. @edwardb I couldn't tell for sure but it looks like you just bolted the rubber transmission mount (two pieces) directly to the transmission without this plate. Did I see that right?

I'm assuming I do **not** need that, correct?
    That plate is only used with the Roadster and the standard Roadster transmission A-frame. Not required for the Gen 3 Coupe. It's a completely different setup.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I have a lot of extra parts for a Roadster if anyone needs them