Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Safety Equipment Best Practices Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Safety Equipment Best Practices Thread

Since we don't have a safety equipment best practices thread and posting this in the 818R forum is bit of preaching to the choir...I thought I'd post this sad news up here. A lot of the 818 builders here intend to track their cars at least occasionally. Most don't want to go full scale R package with 5-6 pt belts because they figure they are just going to do an occasional HPDE event.
    Keep this in mind:

A driver was killed in May at a Porsche Club Drivers Skills/HPDE event at Spokane Raceway. From reading the cause of death it's likely he was not wearing a Hans device (I don't know for sure), but these are a classic description of the trauma that the Hans device protects against:

"SPOKANE COUNTY, May 21, 2019 - The Spokane County Medical Examiner has confirmed the identity and cause of death of the man who died at Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane, WA on May 14, 2019 as the result of an incident in the 700 block of N. Hayford Rd, in Airway Heights, WA on May 11, 2019

Name: Warren Rex Morgan
    Cause of Death: Cerebral infarcts due to C1-C2 dislocation with bilateral vertebral artery dissections due to blunt impact - neck hyperextension.
    Manner: Accident"

"President of Quincy fruit company killed in auto crash at Spokane County Raceway. QUINCY – The owner and president of Double Diamond Fruit in Quincy died suddenly earlier this month.
    Warren R. Morgan, 60, was killed on May 16 in an auto crash at the Spokane County Raceway in Airway Heights."

If you don't want to put a full harness and HANS type device at least get a Simpson Hybrid so you can have a HANS + your factory belts.

Hans vs. No Hans : https://youtu.be/g40YatgE_CE

Other safety best practices are welcome to post up!
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

2. Likes Mitch Wright, NAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice, the HANS does save lives and prevent severe injuries. I really wish it was more practical to wear one, even when driving on the street.

This video shows how it works in conjunction with the helmet and shoulder harness, for those not aware of exactly how it works.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF5djO8P2Pg

4. Thanks Sgt.Gator, JohnnyB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another: If you are going to track your car, make sure you change your brake fluid often enough. You can check my build site for a video of a close call with a wall when my brake pedal went to the floor. The extreme and frequent braking of a track day cause your brakes to be much hotter than any street driving. I learned the hard way.

6. Thanks Sgt.Gator thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    The extreme and frequent braking of a track day cause your brakes to be much hotter than any street driving.
    What brake fluid were you using, and how long since it was last changed? Must have absorbed some water?

Post Thanks / Like
    Motul RBF600. It had been in there about a year, but not used. The car was out of service. I should have changed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

10. Likes NAZ, Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Since we don't have a safety equipment best practices thread and posting this in the 818R forum is bit of preaching to the choir...I thought I'd post this sad news up here. A lot of the 818 builders here intend to track their cars at least occasionally. Most don't want to go full scale R package with 5-6 pt belts because they figure they are just going to do an occasional HPDE event.
    Keep this in mind:

A driver was killed in May at a Porsche Club Drivers Skills/HPDE event at Spokane Raceway. From reading the cause of death it's likely he was not wearing a Hans device (I don't know for sure), but these are a classic description of the trauma that the Hans device protects against:

"SPOKANE COUNTY, May 21, 2019 - The Spokane County Medical Examiner has confirmed the identity and cause of death of the man who died at Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane, WA on May 14, 2019 as the result of an incident in the 700 block of N. Hayford Rd, in Airway Heights, WA on May 11, 2019

Name: Warren Rex Morgan
    Cause of Death: Cerebral infarcts due to C1-C2 dislocation with bilateral vertebral artery dissections due to blunt impact - neck hyperextension.
    Manner: Accident"

"President of Quincy fruit company killed in auto crash at Spokane County Raceway. QUINCY – The owner and president of Double Diamond Fruit in Quincy died suddenly earlier this month.
    Warren R. Morgan, 60, was killed on May 16 in an auto crash at the Spokane County Raceway in Airway Heights."

If you don't want to put a full harness and HANS type device at least get a Simpson Hybrid so you can have a HANS + your factory belts.

Hans vs. No Hans : https://youtu.be/g40YatgE_CE

Other safety best practices are welcome to post up!

Visit Theriderbase to find more helmets that might be you concerned.
    Good advice. Hans and helmet should be prepared as minimizing the risk of neck injuries and head in this case and even driving on the public street.