FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2105 IRS Emergency Brake effort

Post Thanks / Like

2105 IRS Emergency Brake effort

Looking for others experiences here -

Installed the 2015 IRS w factory brakes,factory e-brake cables, and a lokar handle. factory cables connected to the lokar handle directly, and in line w the handle (no mechanism to multiply force / reduce travel). Factory mounting for the calipers - did not use the F5R relocating bracket (what is its purpose anyway? Didn't realize it existed until mine were installed so didn't bother)

My problem is that it seems as though I have minimal E-brake grip even if I pull so hard on the handle I am fearful it may bend! If I give it a good hard pull while going down the road I can feel the brakes being applied, but a good downshift would be more effective!

I assume this is because the factory system uses a foot pedal for activation, with lots more force being applied than my wimpy arm can manage. What
    have others with this setup experienced? Just trying to decide if there is an improvement to be made or if this is as good as it gets.

Also - how about the Wilwood setup for the IRS - are those folks able to get more stopping power from the E-brake?

Thanks
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frd2 View Post
    ...how about the Wilwood setup for the IRS - are those folks able to get more stopping power from the E-brake?
    Can't help you with the factory brakes. Haven't tried them, but seems should work better than your experience. But to your Wilwood question, the 2015+ IRS upgrade Wilwood setup with the separate mechanical e-brake caliper works great. I guess they should since they're kinda pricey to say the least. Locks the wheels hard without big effort. Basically just tighten the cables, and they do their thing. I've only used them with the FFR e-brake handle. Also haven't used them while in motion, but quite confident something would happen. When parked, the car won't budge.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks Paul2STL thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a parking brake, not designed to be used in an emergency to stop the car. Does it hold the car from moving when parked?

Post Thanks / Like
    It holds when parked to stop it from rolling up hill but not as sure about downhill! In all seriousness I think 2 men could push it.

Post Thanks / Like
    In Ct. the make you do a dump test of the clutch with engine running and emergency brake on. The engine needs to stall and the car not move. I’ve been practicing with anticipation going through this test when I register. I’ve like others found the rear pads totally ineffective at even slowing down the vehicle. Changing to a more aggressive pad will probably solve your issue.

Btw... the only way I can pass this test is to lower rpm of the motor to 700.
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    Put it in 3rd gear, they will never notice.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hawk pads not oem already.