Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pushrod question???

Post Thanks / Like

Pushrod question???

Heard a clicking noise that became progressively louder on the passenger bank of my 302. Pulled the valve cover and checked all the rockers and pushrods. Found two in their respective positions to be looser than the other and pulled them. This is what I found.
    IMG_2198.JPG

Balls had seperated from the end mating with the rocker on one and another end that mated to the lifters. Fortunately I was able to retrieve the ball. MY QUESTION: Has any one seen this before and does anyone know the cause? Stock length 6.272 push rods from Mustang Unlimited. Look to be a defective batch? One appeared to operate in this condition long as its end is mushroomed a little. They are stock length so I don't think they are too long, and all set up with rotation and proper preload at assembly...Baffled, but going to change all Pushrods

Looking to replace. Have GT40 Heads, Trickflow Stage 2 cam, Crane 1.7 rockers

Post Thanks / Like
    whoaaaa this is wild. Never seen it. Question, what valve springs do you have? what is the installed height? Something tells me your cam plus the 1.7 rockers is too much lift and putting pressure on your pushrods...

Post Thanks / Like
    I Lied I have a trickflow stage 1 cam (similar to E303??) not a stage 2. Secondly, heads were used SVO heads that came with springs from a working 302 engine. This engine was a solid lifter arrangemetn but I am utilising Hydraulic liftres. I'm thinking insufficient weld?

Post Thanks / Like
    Squid: I agree with Scottiec. Did you check for proper pushrod length (rocker tip contact pattern)? Valve to piston clearance? If all these are OK, you may wish to replace the pushrods with one-piece hardened ones. A bit more $$, but worth it!

FrankB
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defective parts? Perhaps. But you have a variety of non standard parts all playing together and you should check that they are all playing nice with each other before throwing more parts in the mix. Frank has the right idea. Anytime you start mixing parts you have to check clearances even if the parts are allegedly compatible. If not, you could be disappointed in the results. And if everything check out Frank is right about the one-piece pushrods. I just custom ordered some today for less than $150 for a set of heavy wall hardened chrommoly.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: "This engine was a solid lifter arrangement but I am utilising Hydraulic lifters."

Solid lifter cams use / need a lot more spring pressure then today's hydraulic [roller]cams. Sounds to me as though you have too much spring pressure working on your valve train - not uncommon for pushrods to fail with excessive force working against them - they are the weakest link in the chain from valve tip to base of lifter.

I'd pull one each (intake and exhaust) and have the spring pressures verified - might be to your advantage to swap out to a set more in line with your cam grinders specs / recommendations.
    IF they are within spec for your cam, follow the advice to get the push rods mentioned above - cheap insurance in my opinion . . .

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 06-26-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also check for spring bind. If you still have the rotators on exhaust valves bind is quite possible given that the Stage 1's .318 lobe lift combined with 1.7 rockers becomes .542 at the valve.

Jeff