BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exciting Ride - but not what you think

Post Thanks / Like

Exciting Ride - but not what you think

My daughter and I went for a ride the other night in my Roadster. We were driving down a beautiful country road near our house doing about 20 mph. All of a sudden I heard a thump and kind of a whizzing sound. I thought I must have run over a stick or something in the road. I looked over at her and said what the heck was that? Gunshots! Many of them, from a small caliber semi-auto gun. Probably a .22 rifle. We are in the country so that is nothing really unusual. We continued our ride and came back home. After pulling into the garage I gave the car a quick once over as I usually do. That’s when I saw “IT”. A perfect crease where a bullet stuck the car just above the passenger headlight. The trajectory was directly at the driver’s side of the windshield. Had it not ricocheted off the fender or been an inch higher, someone else may have been telling this story. Now I realized what the noise I heard was. First a deer, now a bullet hole. I’m starting to wish I had just left it in gelcoat. I expected some paint dings along the way, but a bullet hole was not on my radar. These cars really are exciting to drive!

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy ****! Someone shot at you? Unbelievable! I guess you were ruining their hunting, so they figured they'd kill you.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    You have reported this to the police right?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put some more of these on the car, so you don't have to paint.

22-Bullet.jpg
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap Bob! I’m glad everyone is Ok.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap! Glad you and your daughter are okay, the car can be fixed although like you say who would think one would be repairing something like this??? I hope the police find out who did it although my bet is they will say they were just doing target practice at a tree or something else and did not realize a road was there (all BS of course).
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm certain it was an accident. The road winds around so where they were shooting probably seemed safe but if the bullet doesn't hit the target it will carry for a very long distance.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!! I'm Glad you and your daughter are okay!
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Just goes to show that there are morons everywhere, including Texas. Glad it was only property damage because it could have easily turned tragic.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    I'm certain it was an accident. The road winds around so where they were shooting probably seemed safe but if the bullet doesn't hit the target it will carry for a very long distance.
    There are no accidents. That's called negligent discharge.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    You sure have a good attitude about it! Not sure how I would handle that happening to me. Especially with my child in the car.
    Post a photo if you can. I'd like to see how the fiberglass held up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I'm glad you and your daughter are OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple of photos. The .22 bullet lays perfectly in the groove. It broke through the gelcoat into the fiberglass but obviously was a very glancing strike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s scary, glad it’s only the car, oiled have been a terrible tragedy

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy Snikeys, not cool...glad you two are good to go. You going to fabricate a Kevlar bra for the front of your car?

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice recovery, Dave. A cool head in an emergency seems to be mandatory equipment with these cars. Reminds me of the first thing I read about them in the intro about them being very willing to kill you if you don't respect them. Glad you stayed on top of it instead of it on top of you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Bob, i don't think I'm visiting you very soon. Glad, it is only the car and Y'all are okay. Let me know if you form a posse.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Bob. My earlier post was, i thought, to the stuck throttle thread and wound up here... But now reading this, Holy cr*p, some idiot did not look beyond his/her target and stupidly shot without thinking. Thank God you two are here to talk about it. This also qualifies for a change of shorts day. Drive safe...

Post Thanks / Like
    I would make sure you report it, It could be some knucklehead thinking hes got a clear backdrop while shooting not even realizing a road is down range. Let the cops at least make sure that's not the issue. I would try to figure out the area you were driving and see if it might be from any area of private property.

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove back to the area Friday and believe it or not there were 2 guys shooting in the same vicinity. I videoed them this time and filed a report with the sheriffs office. They said they'd check the area and see what they come up with. Didn't sound to promising. Guess you have to die to get someone's attention. But at least a complaint is on file. My paint guy came by the house Saturday and I asked him how he would have to fix it. He said he'd have to reclear the whole right front of the car. He could break it at the stripes and the front of the door. Not sure I want to file an insurance claim to fix the one ding. He brought me some touchup paint and I'm going to try to fill the hole and touch it up for now.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m just glad you’re all ��
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!