Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New member, about to pull the trigger on a roadster

Post Thanks / Like

New member, about to pull the trigger on a roadster

Hey y'all!

Signed up to the forum since there's a wealth of knowledge here and I'm finally getting ready to buy (and possibly build) a FFR Roadster!
    I have restored quite a few motorcycles and cars and also worked on and built engines for a hobby. So this might be a nice new chapter.

Roadsters have always caught my attention since they're so timeless and unique. Would be awesome to own one.

Since work takes up a lot of my time building a Roadster from the ground up will be a multi-year project and so I was thinking of buying a partial built Roadster or one that's finished and might need some work.
    This very much narrows down my options of course. I don't have very many specific desires as in engine-wise or so.

The next Roadster is located very close to me and I think it might be worth a view. What do you guys think?

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/...918116992.html

There are obviously a few risks in buying a partial built car. Mostly I'm concerned about the PO having done work that's not up to standard or has partially finished which makes it even more work in some cases. Also you might miss some parts. And third, I worry about getting it inspected, since I heard stories about the first owner needing to register it (I'm in Texas btw).

A lot of work has already been put in this car it seems and it looks "close" to being body-on. My previous builds (non-Roadster) have always taught me that it takes many more hours than you imagine at first.
    What I'm thinking is finishing this until drive-able (no bodywork yet) would possibly take approx 100 hours to finish it right.
    Then body work I'd be willing to do myself, but will take at least 200 hours. Body work isn't a priority for me at the moment. I rather have it built and rolling/driving first.

What do you guys think about this car? Realistic time schedule?
    Also, what do you guys think about the set up of this car engine/tranny/build vs. price?

I know there are a lot of people that have been through this before and know a lot more than me. Already appreciate all the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like
    There a beautiful Roadster in Port Charlotte, Florida that is complete and ready to go! It’s a pro-built car that needs nothing but a home!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

3. Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I said on the other forum, that is an old flat floor white body early Mk1, probably 20 years old. He has it priced about 2X realistic. JMHO of course.

RE: Buying someone else's incomplete work. I had a client who did that a few years ago, buying a Mk3 roller in much the same state of assembly as what you have shown (for $12K with a fresh 408 short block) and brought it to me to complete. It didn't take long to discover the build errors and determine that absolutely nothing could be trusted. In the end I tore it all the way down to the bare chassis for a complete do-over. Not saying that's always the case but something that you need to be prepared for.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I am with Jeff. Looking at that car I would tear it apart and start over. It would only be worth purchasing if the engine, trans and rear-end were good and you can get it for 13k or so

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you can find MUCH better buys then this, and for that price. I would also ask, since you are not looking for an over the top type of build, do you think with your work you could commit about 30 hours per month to a complete build? That's like 7 total hours a week (all at once or broken up) If so, then you could have a complete kit, built the way you want it, done in 12 months or less. And when it was done, it would be YOURS. You would know all the ins and out, the wiring, the mechanics, etc. Just my $.02

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    That car has set for a long time. The early MK's bodies were a lot more work that the new MK's.That seems like a lot of money for a old car that your not sure of the workmanship that has been put into it.May be for about 10K to 12K and all the proper paper work that goes with it. I really think you can find a better deal to start with.Good luck Roger