Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Hagerty Insurance questionnaire - Resume of High Performance Driving.

Post Thanks / Like

Hagerty Insurance questionnaire - Resume of High Performance Driving.

Those of you that have Hagerty Insurance, were you asked to fill out a Resume of High Performance Driving, or is this a new thing?
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to remember something similar. I have driven Nissan Z's for almost 50 years, so not an issue. If I'd driven "Smart" cars, i\t may have been different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swwebb View Post
    I seem to remember something similar. I have driven Nissan Z's for almost 50 years, so not an issue. If I'd driven "Smart" cars, i\t may have been different.
    I’m just concerned that if they don’t think my “resume” is good enough they could decline to insure and that can’t be good.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    No driving questionnaire for me, but I obtained Hagerty coverage through my State Farm agent so that may be the difference if you contacted Hagerty direct.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    just finished my mk iv about a month ago and insured directly through hagerty and yes they did ask about high performance driving experience. i have in the past been through about 4 different "schools" , porsche, jim russell, etc... so that helped but i don't think hagerty will deny you
    good luck

6. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It happened to me. My agent told me they actually we're not keen to insure me because they weren't sure I could handle the car. Lol... Told them about old mustangs, my supercharged Subaru, and co-drivimg some Corvettes at autoX. Seemed to do the trick.

8. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like Hagerty is all over the place, from "no problem" to "we don't ensure Cobras" and everything in between.

Just say....

1. I speed everywhere I go. Interstates, back-roads, residential, and school zones. I can handle high speeds in any given situation.
    2. I have mastered the no stop right hook turn at both stop signs and redlights.
    3. I have braking skills that allows me to charge up behind other cars at full speed and jam on the brakes at the last second, leaving a precise two inches between bumpers.
    4. I can steer with my knee while I type with two thumbs commenting on the latest Cobra forum post.
    5. I can easily pass cars on either side including tactful use of the shoulder on either side and can perform multi-lane sweeps with one hand on the wheel and the other hand out the window displaying the appropriate finger showing my dominance of the road.

Or you could sum all of this up by saying "I drive like I am from Florida".

I am sure that will get you in. If not, just call Midwest and Robbin will get you insured.

Honestly, I am impressed that they are asking for performance driving experience. Everyone here knows that I think a minimum of three autocross events should be required to drive a Cobra. About three full seasons worth is what it takes to really be able to drive it.
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 06-28-2019 at 02:19 PM.

10. Likes GTBradley, Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    It seems like Hagerty is all over the place, from "no problem" to "we don't ensure Cobras" and everything in between.

Just say....

1. I speed everywhere I go. Interstates, back-roads, residential, and school zones. I can handle high speeds in any given situation.
    2. I have mastered the no stop right hook turn at both stop signs and redlights.
    3. I have braking skills that allows me to charge up behind other cars at full speed and jam on the brakes at the last second, leaving a precise two inches between bumpers.
    4. I can steer with my knee while I type with two thumbs commenting on the latest Cobra forum post.
    5. I can easily pass cars on either side including tactful use of the shoulder on either side and can perform multi-lane sweeps with one hand on the wheel and the other hand out the window displaying the appropriate finger showing my dominance of the road.

Or you could sum all of this up by saying "I drive like I am from Florida".

I am sure that will get you in. If not, just call Midwest and Robbin will get you insured.

Honestly, I am impressed that they are asking for performance driving experience. Everyone here knows that I think a minimum of three autocross events should be required to drive a Cobra. About three full seasons worth is what it takes to really be able to drive it.
    Okay, I sent the form in just like you said, but this seems like bad advise...
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    No driving questionnaire for me, but I obtained Hagerty coverage through my State Farm agent so that may be the difference if you contacted Hagerty direct.
    I'm going through Country, our current insurance. I've had 240Z, Mustang, RX-8. I even put down my parents' V12 XJS, but that was a lifetime ago. I wouldn't mind a required Autocross event or three, but they don't want you doing stuff like that
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    My insurance agent knows I built the car to race. It has plastic windows and windshield, it had wheelie bars and DOT slicks on it when he inspected it, it has more HP than most here have in their cars, it has my competition number on the front and both sides, LOUD exhaust exiting out the header collectors for all the world to hear and see -- no mistaking it, it's a race car. Still no driving history questionnaire required when I insured it last year. And the Hagarty policy insures the car everywhere with no mileage restrictions, even at the track in the pit area just not on the actual track.

Must be a "Cobra" thing.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    My collectors insurance states "no timed events". I understand that I am not insured on track.

If you dig into any insurance policy you will find if you are on the race track, including autocross course, you are uninsured. For autocross (at least with a reputable "safety first" group like the SCCA) you are taking more risk driving to the event than you are at the event.

If you are going through a regular company. Make sure you understand that difference between "stated value" and "agreed upon value". Some guys get stated, and think that if they total their car, they get a check for that amount. Not necessarily so. That is what agreed upon is. <<<< the one you want.

Good luck.

15. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My insurance agent knows I built the car to race. It has plastic windows and windshield, it had wheelie bars and DOT slicks on it when he inspected it, it has more HP than most here have in their cars, it has my competition number on the front and both sides, LOUD exhaust exiting out the header collectors for all the world to hear and see -- no mistaking it, it's a race car. Still no driving history questionnaire required when I insured it last year. And the Hagarty policy insures the car everywhere with no mileage restrictions, even at the track in the pit area just not on the actual track.

Must be a "Cobra" thing.
    I think it is becoming a "Cobra" thing. I won't say where I got it, but very definitely Hagerty's experience of late is that they have a "terrible loss ratio on Cobra replicas". I think this may be a thing going forward. As long as they insure me, and I'm sure they will with no tickets or claims in the last 15 years, I'm happy to do whatever safety courses they want.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk about timely! I worked with my agent yesterday and she recommended Hagerty. Then, a second call, telling me I needed to complete the "resume". They turned me down saying I need a year in the Cobra before they'll cover it. Catch-22? We're (she) checking on two other companies now. The real challenge is that I need a VIN in order to get the policy, but I won't have that until the state inspects it. The catch is that the state is asking for a policy number on the registration/title form! (The package goes in the mail tomorrow morning to get the inspection scheduled!)
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Y'all might have to bite the bullet and take one of those driving courses like Bondurant offers here in AZ. Honey, I can't get the car insured until I attend driving school. How much? Only a couple thousand plus air fare and hotel. My birthday is coming up -- that would be a great gift...

Think how much fun that would be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

Everyone here knows that I think a minimum of three autocross events should be required to drive a Cobra. About three full seasons worth is what it takes to really be able to drive it.
    +1

I always say - if you don't want to learn to control everything it does in first and second gear, what makes you think you ought to be out on the big road in it???

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Hagerty and had the questionnaire. I’m insured for appraised value which is $40k LOL (see sig) In my questionnaire I put my Camaro Z28 and a couple years with my friends Gremlin with a 327 (swapped the 304 out) and M22 transmission as experience. No issues getting insurance. This was April 2017. They were great the one time I needed a tow. I guess if I have any issues I’ll call Midwest seeing their banner above the page here. ��
    Last edited by mburger; 06-28-2019 at 05:40 PM.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have Infinity specialty car insurance & they had a questionnaire to fill out on performance cars owned & driven. No problems getting OK'd for the agreed value, no driving restrictions policy.

Noticed by posts here over the years many of the majors will not insure our cars in some states but will in others. Does not look like any single national policy exists.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Y'all might have to bite the bullet and take one of those driving courses like Bondurant offers here in AZ. Honey, I can't get the car insured until I attend driving school. How much? Only a couple thousand plus air fare and hotel. My birthday is coming up -- that would be a great gift...

Think how much fun that would be.
    Did that schpiel for Christmas to get the car in the first place. Too fresh in her memory to work again this soon.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in January when i got insurance through Hagerty they requested a High Performance Driving resume. I stated I took a Bob Bondurant course at Sears Point Raceway back in 1992 or thereabout. I could not provide proof, just a statement and that was good enough as Im now insured.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    I contacted Hagerty to insure my Mk4 while I was building it. They said that they would not insure it until it was completed and titled. So I went to Grundy. They're only requirements were that I had at least $30,000 into it and that I send some photos. I also had to give them a VIN when it was titled. Grundy. My current coverage is for $45,000. My premium is $323 per year with $0 deductible, towing and trip coverage. When I get it back from the body shop I will increase the coverage. No hassles, no B.S. I will stick with Grundy
    Last edited by Mag; 06-30-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or just contact Robbin at Midwest. They are also one of our supporting vendors.
    [email protected]

Robbin R. Terry, CIC
    POB 229, 110 So 5th Street
    Auburn, IL 62615
    888.271.4000 (phone)
    217.438.3347 (fax)
    Office Hours 8:00-4:30 CST Mon-Fri
    www.midwestclassicinsurance.com

He was able to get the insurance for me during my build, pretty much from the very start. And at less than $500/yr for $250 comp/coll deductibles and agreed value insurance, pretty good deal.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

26. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading this thread, I can't help but wonder if they have an agenda???

https://www.hagerty.com/corporate/ho...ing-experience
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently purchased a FF-GTM. I applied to Hagerty for insurance. I have a clean driving record. They never asked about a Resume of High Performance Driving of which I have decades worth. They called a day later and said they wouldn't insure the car, when I asked why they said because it was a high loss vehicle..... There are lots of other insurance company's though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jgtm View Post
    I recently purchased a FF-GTM. I applied to Hagerty for insurance. I have a clean driving record. They never asked about a Resume of High Performance Driving of which I have decades worth. They called a day later and said they wouldn't insure the car, when I asked why they said because it was a high loss vehicle..... There are lots of other insurance company's though.
    Welcome to the forum. If you don’t mind me asking, what state are you in?
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had Haggerty for almost 10 years on some modified Mustangs. I've submitted photos and lists of modifications and have never been asked for any sort of resume.

Good to know this may be an issue if I go forward and insure my future cobra with them

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Welcome to the forum. If you don’t mind me asking, what state are you in?
    Thanks, in California

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had Hagerty for about 20 years with a 427 Vette, a Camaro and Nova with 396(s) and a few others. I haven't had any formal high performance driving training.

I completed the form, listed past cars, and they insured the Cobra with no issues. I think the length I've been a customer also was a factor in approval.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Or just contact Robbin at Midwest. They are also one of our supporting vendors.
    [email protected]

Robbin R. Terry, CIC
    POB 229, 110 So 5th Street
    Auburn, IL 62615
    888.271.4000 (phone)
    217.438.3347 (fax)
    Office Hours 8:00-4:30 CST Mon-Fri
    www.midwestclassicinsurance.com

He was able to get the insurance for me during my build, pretty much from the very start. And at less than $500/yr for $250 comp/coll deductibles and agreed value insurance, pretty good deal.
    This +1
    Very pleased with Robin. Price was much better than Hagarty when I got quotes. Seems like from my research on this their coverage varies by state but in my case there are no mileage or driving restrictions and I have an agreed value policy.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Have been with hagarty and high agreed value, but they stop at 650 HP. Going to get tuned and see . My have to go with classic.
    This is a 33 and no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hagarty gave me crap AFTER I paid the full premium! 6 years of autocross, a couple of track days, and multiple vehicles with more horsepower! 51 years old. They said they have had too many fatalities in kit cobras. I went with Grundy. No Problems.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if they’d accept 30-years as a CHP Officer for driving experience?

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

37. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the results are in and Hagerty thought my high performance driving resume was good enough. Lots of sports cars throughout the years, but nothing close to the hp of this car. I did throw in the fastest aircraft I’ve flown...maybe that did it. They did decline my wife though (sad face emoji here). I did try Robbin at Midwest too. Midwest can’t insure with pictures that are more than 2 weeks old and my car is at the paint shop with the body upside down. Can’t really say anything good or bad about MW since the application can’t move forward.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 07-15-2019 at 11:28 PM.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts too. I am retired PD from the midwest (open roads) and chasing bad guys sharpens the high speed maneuvering skills. Anthony