Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Side pipes restrictive

Post Thanks / Like

Side pipes restrictive

Anyone else having there dyno tuner telling them there sides pipes are restrictive? The transition from the headers to side pipes take a hard turn and reduction in area. I am losing about 35 rwhp from 6k to 7800 rpm. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    More details please. What headers? What side pipes? How do they know there's 35 HP lost? Compared to what?
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    More details please. What headers? What side pipes? How do they know there's 35 HP lost? Compared to what?
    Type 65 headers and side pipes for a 5.0 Coyote motor. The tuner put the same tune in my car that was in a Mustang GT with same exact motor and mods. My curve was right on top of the GTs until 5900 rpm. Then mine went flat at 413 rwhp and the GT kept climbing to 448 rwhp.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you are comparing the exact same power train combination (with exception of the side exhaust) and both runs were accurately adjusted to standard day you may be led to a false conclusion. Yes, your exhaust may be robbing some power but so can lots of other things such as your air cleaner, trans, rear end, etc. Only testing can determine power eaters and quantify how much each contributes to the loss. Welcome to my world...

But if this is a street car, that 35 HP is nothing but bragging rights so like they say -- don't pet the sweaty stuff and don't sweat the petty stuff.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

5. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you track the car, 6000 to7800 RPM isn't a realistic part of the powerband to be concerned with. There was a discussion in another post about differences in dyno results with different pipes. For me, I'm very happy with the toned down sound of the GAS-N pipes compared with the FFR pipes that came with the kit. Power isn't my first priority.

Edit: Sorry, my post came across a bit presumptuous. I shouldn't assume that what's important to me is what should be important to everyone else.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 06-29-2019 at 06:58 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rviscosi View Post
    Type 65 headers and side pipes for a 5.0 Coyote motor. The tuner put the same tune in my car that was in a Mustang GT with same exact motor and mods. My curve was right on top of the GTs until 5900 rpm. Then mine went flat at 413 rwhp and the GT kept climbing to 448 rwhp.
    If you're talking about the Gen 3 Coupe, Factory Five changed the side pipes so that the same Coyote straight tube headers could be used on both the Roadster and the Coupe. That resulted in a Coupe side pipe that has a very abrupt transition and looks restrictive. Not to mention the rest of the standard twin pipe Coupe setup. I'm not aware of any actual dyno testing, specifically comparing this side pipe to anything else. There are aftermarket pipes that are quieter and have a smoother transition. Don't know of any comparison testing that have been done with those either though. Agree with the comments already posted. Specifically for street driving in that RPM range, hard to imagine you'd ever notice the "missing" HP. My 99% street driven Roadster with a Gen 2 Coyote spends very little time in that RPM range.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're talking about the Gen 3 Coupe, Factory Five changed the side pipes so that the same Coyote straight tube headers could be used on both the Roadster and the Coupe. That resulted in a Coupe side pipe that has a very abrupt transition and looks restrictive. Not to mention the rest of the standard twin pipe Coupe setup. I'm not aware of any actual dyno testing, specifically comparing this side pipe to anything else. There are aftermarket pipes that are quieter and have a smoother transition. Don't know of any comparison testing that have been done with those either though. Agree with the comments already posted. Specifically for street driving in that RPM range, hard to imagine you'd ever notice the "missing" HP. My 99% street driven Roadster with a Gen 2 Coyote spends very little time in that RPM range.
    Do you know who makes these other side pipes? I have the gen 3 side pipes and especially in the double Side pipe Type 65 version it blocks off about 50% of the area from header to side pipe. Since the Coyote with 18 Intake really shines in the upper RPM, it would be nice to get that extra 35 rwhp. I do track the car occasionally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know who makes these other side pipes? I have the gen 3 side pipes and especially in the double Side pipe Type 65 version it blocks off about 50% of the area from header to side pipe. Since the Coyote with 18 Intake really shines in the upper RPM, it would be nice to get that extra 35 rwhp. I do track the car occasionally.
    No personal experience, but Boig is one I've seen several builds use. (https://boigmotorsports.com/). Don't see their Gen 3 Coupe offering on their website, but they have one. Does require their complete package, e.g. headers plus side pipes since the transition is changed. It's quieter, based on feedback from those that have used them. I have no idea about any dyno testing comparisons. There will be another offering coming on-line. What I'm using on my build. But too soon to say anything about it. Just doing initial fit-up. Watch my build thread (link in my sig line) and I'll be talking about it as soon as I can. Focus is to look like the original with twin pipes, be quieter, and clean up the transition. Way too soon to talk about dyno results, and probably won't anyway. I'm expecting the Gen 3 Coyote (2018) in that build to be more than enough for my driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    No personal experience, but Boig is one I've seen several builds use. (https://boigmotorsports.com/). Don't see their Gen 3 Coupe offering on their website, but they have one. Does require their complete package, e.g. headers plus side pipes since the transition is changed. It's quieter, based on feedback from those that have used them. I have no idea about any dyno testing comparisons. There will be another offering coming on-line. What I'm using on my build. But too soon to say anything about it. Just doing initial fit-up. Watch my build thread (link in my sig line) and I'll be talking about it as soon as I can. Focus is to look like the original with twin pipes, be quieter, and clean up the transition. Way too soon to talk about dyno results, and probably won't anyway. I'm expecting the Gen 3 Coyote (2018) in that build to be more than enough for my driving.
    Is the other offering coming on line soon from Factory Five? Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the other offering coming on line soon from Factory Five? Thanks for the info.
    No.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You may want to contact Spintech regarding their pipes for the Daytona:

https://spintechmufflers.com/5-oval-...daytona-coupe/

Maybe their pipes will do the trick, plus they look pretty cool too.

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-30-2019 at 07:14 PM.