FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wyoming GTM issue with oil pan

Post Thanks / Like

Wyoming GTM issue with oil pan

All, in reading the thread Beeman started and viewing Shane’s pictures of the engine install I have come to the realization (knew it just did not look right) that I have a problem with the oil pan on my LS3 create motor that was supplied with the ending. As it stands now it sticks approximately 2” below the frame crossmember, and the bottom of the transition between motor and transmission in about ¾” to 1” below the frame. You can see from the pictures below the location of the oil pan and transition.

front of oil pan from drivers side.jpg looking back at front of oil pan.jpg oil pan and transition to transmission side view.jpg oil pan 2 inches below frame cross member.jpg

The oil pan itself is approximately 7” from the flange to the bottom of the oil pan.

depth of oil pan flange to bottom.JPG

With a level on the bottom of the transition piece you can see the gap between the frame and the bottom of the transition piece. This does not seem to be to excessive of a gap but still is below the frame.

bottom of transition plate to frame about 1 inch below frame.jpg

Here is are pictures of the drivers and passengers side motor mounts indexed and sitting on the spacers supplied by FFR.

drivers side motor mount.jpg passengers side motor mount.jpg

Everything fits in the proper location in the engine compartment, a/c compressor in location as FFR made cut out in the tunnel panel. Alternator in proper location as well as trans axles to rear tires, so I know the motor is not low, and I know I cannot raise it, or nothing would fit the intended design.

Again, this was the oil pan supplied by my create engine builder and supplier. I was looking at putting a guard to protect the pan as it did hang below the frame… but I know there must be a better way. Does anyone know where to find a replacement oil pan, bat wing or other wise with out going to a dry sump. If the pan had a total depth of 5” from the flange to the bottom it would still hang down a little like the transitions piece but would raise the oil pan bottom to almost in line with the frame.

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated as in know I need something different and have known for some time but put it on the back burner until I read Beeman's post with Shane reply's and remembered I needed to do something about the oil pan, was busy trying to learn how to upholstery etc. but there is no time left now I want to drive the go cart, weather is nice but need a idea or fix for the low hanging oil pan.

Post Thanks / Like
    You probably need a Corvette oil pan which is 2” shallower. I happen to have brand new GM parts to do this conversion for sale on another forum if you are interested. You need the oil pan with gasket, oil pickup tube and dipstick and tube for the shorter dipstick. I am building a Superlite SL-C originally planning to use an LS3 but went with an LT4 and have these brand new parts for sale. See the parts list and pricing on the links below...

https://www.gt40s.com/threads/fs-new...c-parts.53047/
    Last edited by Jkviper; 06-30-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am interested can you PM me or let me know how to get in touch with you. At just under 5" the pan with pick-up and dip stick should work.

Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent with contact info.