BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ride of Shame

Post Thanks / Like

Ride of Shame

Drove the Coupe to work Friday and on the way home in three lanes of traffic it died while going 40 mph. (Had been running hot and missing). Coasted to the shoulder, called my wife and let it cool down. After 30 min, I tried starting it with no success. Checked some wires, distributor cap, and let it sit some more. Tried again...no success. About this time some guy in a BMW pulled to a stop behind me. "Oh great!...what's a beamer going to do?....(be nice anyway)..." I get out of the car. The guy gets out and says "Are you Bob...(Yes)...my son came home and said there is a coupe stuck on the road...Does the Guy with a coupe in STL have a #12 on the car? ...(Yes)...So, I came up here....My name is Jim!(Webby on the forum)" And this is how I met the other guy in STL building a Coupe!!! So, Jim gave me a ride home, we exchanged phone #'s, and my wife and I made plans to get the car home. (MY kids laugh and comment..."Dad it's all about the brotherhood!" THANKS A BUNCH JIM!

So, I called for a tow and 2 guys came. Did a great job!

By the time we got home it was late.

Funny thing, the two guys working the tow truck were excited to do the car. They sat in my driveway for 20 min and took pictures, talked, and told me about their families.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've talked to Webby several times and he's been to my house and I've been to visit him. Great guy.

Glad you made it home Bob, let us know what the problem ended up.

Been on the Ride of Shame twice, once was a dead coil (less than 2 years old), second time was a short behind the dash that too out the main fuse. Thank Goodness for AAA!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    The brother hood is watching!!

Good to hear you and the car made it home safe. Hopefully its a minor thing.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    With a couple of italian cars from the 80’s I’m used to the ride of shame...Lol!
    Like MPTech wrote: Thank Goodness for AAA (CAA in Canada)!

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess we all dread the ride of shame, but Ship happens..Coil perhaps?

Curious how/where the flatdeck guy's attached the cable to the Coupe frame. Did you have the through the hood, tow eye option?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post

Curious how/where the flatdeck guy's attached the cable to the Coupe frame. Did you have the through the hood, tow eye option?
    Bill,

The tow guys attached the cable to the open hole at the front of each 4 inch frame tube (Gen 2). In addition, we used two 2x12x36 boards under each front tire to raise the nose high enough to clear the tilted bed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

Glad I was able to help out with a ride home when your coupe stopped running on Friday afternoon. Too ironic that my son drove by minutes after you pulled over on the side of the road. Hopefully your coupe will be back up and running real soon!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-STL View Post
    Bill, The tow guys attached the cable to the open hole at the front of each 4 inch frame tube (Gen 2). In addition, we used two 2x12x36 boards under each front tire to raise the nose high enough to clear the tilted bed.
    Wow that was lucky the cable actually cleared the Coupe's lower body OK at that angle.
    I am forever haunted, having seen the lower under-grille panel of a friends aluminum bodied AC Bristol, bent upward and outward by the cable. It made quite a mess.