Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Pipe Coating Options

Post Thanks / Like

Pipe Coating Options

So I've pretty much convinced myself that I'm going to have white headers and pipes— despite all the warnings about how hard they are to keep clean.

With that in mind, do the side pipes benefit from ceramic coating? I can't help but looking at them and thinking— how many times is someone going to seriously burn themselves on that?

I guess the main question is: are the side pipes a persistent burn danger, or are they fairly tame? Is that hump in the middle an air gap heat shield (and is it effective?), or is that an expansion chamber in the pipe?

I'm just wondering if it's worth the expense to try and reduce heat as much as possible or if I should go with a high temp paint or powder coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't done ceramic coating on side pipes, so no help there. I have used ceramic coating on headers. Yes, the surface temps are lower, but still seriously hot and dangerous. For the rest of your questions: Yes, absolutely the side pipes are very hot and will cause instant potentially serious burns if you contact them with bare skin. The turnout by the headers is by far the worst. The rest, including by the doors, is also bad but not quite as hot. The "hump" in the middle is the muffler section, so is fully heated. The narrower parts at the front and back are pipe only sections. The Coupe has a slight advantage because the pipes are somewhat tucked into the body sides. Easier to step over than the Roadster. The smaller twin style pipes (like what comes with the kit) are more like what the originals had and tuck in slightly better than some of the aftermarket single tube pipes. But all must be avoided, up to 30 minutes (or maybe more) after shutting down. In case you haven't heard, the kit provided pipes are extremely LOUD. Painfully so IMO. I'd recommend running them before putting any money into them. Then decide.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-01-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW - I'm planning to ceramic coat my headers, side pipes and heat shields for my Mk4 roadster. I've had Jet-Hot quote the work for me. The headers are SS 4-into-1-into 4 with built-in catalytic converters, and I'm doing the extreme 2500 coating on those in black. The side pipes and heat shields will get their standard satin black ceramic coating, as the extreme 2500 is a rough texture and not durable enough for the exposed side pipes. Total for all parts plus return shipping is ~$1,500. HTH.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks much edwardb. I think that's a great idea to see if I can live with the noise level before I invest anything on the stock pipes.

I had a friend mention a solution would be to fabricate a door sill plate that would unfold and drape over the pipes for entry and exit. I thought that was a really neat idea! Just have to remember to use them (and "un-use" them), but I think you could probably incorporate some sort of indicator/reminder system into it.

I'm sure I'm over thinking it, but with four kids and a wife (plus everyone else I take for a ride) I really want to find a way to minimize that potential hazard.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 07-01-2019 at 04:00 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've insulated exhaust systems and have never found a practical way to put enough insulation on to prevent burns of the skin. I also believe you're going to find that anything that insulates the headers or exhaust pipes is going to make them cool slower too.

I've been burned on a variety of exhaust systems and have learned that chrome is the worst for staying hot with SS a close second. When I build headers and exhaust systems I use steel (thinner the better up to a point) and paint them black. When I get back from a run on my car it takes about 5-mins for the headers to cool enough I can work around the engine. Headers cool by convection and if you wrap them or coat them it reduces their ability to transfer heat to the atmosphere.

I've found that given enough space, heat shielding is more effective than insulation. The bigger the gap between the shield and the exhaust the better (inverse square law applies). A good heat shield over the exhaust will do a better job of preventing burns and is more practical than any insulation you can apply.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

6. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ceramic coating won't help with the burns. Drummer Mike has some heat shields that look nice, and can prevent a bad searing.

If you go with white, which on some builds look magnificent, just touch them up with some paint once in awhile. Use the VHT Flameproof paint, and follow the instructions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post

just touch them up with some paint once in awhile. Use the VHT Flameproof paint, and follow the instructions.
    I assure you this is the best way to proceed until you figure out what you actually want + need.

~6-8$ spray cans until then...

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my side exhaust pipes ceramic coated and they are cool enough to touch for a second or two without getting burnt less than a minute after shutting down. I am impressed.
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    Ceramic coated headers and stainless sidepipes. The ceramic has held up well, the SS pipes yellow.
    All are still hot for quite a while after shutdown.
    No serious burns yet after 65k miles but a friend did melt some polyester and a little girl, about 4, started to melt her shoes on the pipes when she stood on the pipes. Grabbed her quickly, then with her mother's permission gave her a ride around the parking lot. All was good.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I used VHT and RustOleum white paint on mine. If I remember correctly the RustOLeum white was a more pure white whereas the VHT is more like a Wimbledon White.
    If in doubt......flat out-Colin McRae

Coupe #485

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want white ceramic coated pipes check out Swain Tech
    http://swaintech.com/

They did my side pipes in 2013 and the coating has held up very well. I used the roadster mufflers and turn out and had an exhaust guy build the rest from the header to the side pipe. They are very loud as well and hot even with the coating.

The coating would still be in perfect shape if I hadn't had a disagreement with a miata on the track (the black scuff mark under the door). The miata lost that argument though.

IMG_3784.jpg

MSRC_IMG_16194.jpg

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrueger View Post
    If you want white ceramic coated pipes check out Swain Tech
    http://swaintech.com/

They did my side pipes in 2013 and the coating has held up very well. I used the roadster mufflers and turn out and had an exhaust guy build the rest from the header to the side pipe. They are very loud as well and hot even with the coating.

The coating would still be in perfect shape if I hadn't had a disagreement with a miata on the track (the black scuff mark under the door). The miata lost that argument though.

IMG_3784.jpg

MSRC_IMG_16194.jpg

JC
    I called Swaintech because it seemed like a great option, but they actually talked me out of it and said I probably wouldn't be happy with it! He said the coating is really rough and attracts a lot of dirt. But I must say yours looks great.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 07-27-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    I called Swaintech because it seemed like a great option, but they actually talked me out of it and said I probably wouldn't be happy with it! He said the coating is really rough and attracts a lot of dirt. But I must say yours looks great.
    Just looking through old posts that may help me on ceramic coating the hot stuff. But this sounds strange to me. I've seen ceramic coatings finished off glossy smooth with a mirror finish. Am I missing something?
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I think you can totally get a mirror finish ceramic coating, but nothing I've seen in white. About the closest I've seen you can get to white in high-temp finishes is the Cerakote Mag Silver.

From what I can gather (in my limited knowledge), most "ceramic" coatings may have a little bit of ceramic in them, but they aren't really more than glorified high-temp powder coatings. The Swaintech process, from what I understand, is a bit different and is a true ceramic heat shield, but they say their coating (while it is white) is meant for performance only and not recommended for look and feel.

Anyway, long story short, I think you can pretty much get a high-temp powder coating in about any color and finish you want, unless that color is white. I guess you can also do VHT paint in white too, but it seems like a lot of maintenance.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Cerakote Mag Silver— but will probably wait based on other recommendations on the noise of the FFR pipes.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 09-14-2019 at 11:54 AM.