Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cowl Hinges And Air strut Lower Mount

Post Thanks / Like

Cowl Hinges And Air strut Lower Mount

Starting to get serious about mounting the body parts (after a lot of time spent on body prep without using Bondo etc.) I have read many posts (thank you all) about alignment and interference problems fitting the cowl. In preparation for "getting there":

1. I decided to offset the hinges by placing both spacers on the outside which moves the hinge body position mounting away from the radiator/AC condenser but does not move pivot center line.

2. To shorten the lower leg of the hinge, on the passenger side, to clear one of the A/C hose connections, and make a new slot for bolting the hinge to the lower cowl. This also makes no difference to the tipping geometry of the cowl.

3. To weld the air frame-side strut mount to a strip of 1/8 steel which has two axial slots through which 1/4-20 bolts go into riv-nuts in the frame. This will allow for final positioning of that mount where it does not force the cowl forward when closed.

That's my thinking. What have I missed???? Comments please.

Thanks
    fred

AirStru Mount.jpg

Hinge2.jpg

Hinge1.jpg
    Last edited by freds; 07-02-2019 at 07:55 PM. Reason: incorrect photo attached

Post Thanks / Like
    as long as the hinges will still fit the fog light buckets with some room to adjust the hood location as you get the final alignment you will be good.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    as long as the hinges will still fit the fog light buckets with some room to adjust the hood location as you get the final alignment you will be good.
    David W

Thanks for the cautionary note feed back. I checked that and the offset is only the width of one ffr spacer. Also the there are decent width slots for the mounting.

fred