BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stock Unisteer manual steering rack slack adjustment?

Post Thanks / Like

Stock Unisteer manual steering rack slack adjustment?

Hi all,

I was wondering, does the stock manual rack supplied with the gen 1 GTM have any possibility for some steering slack adjustment?

My rack, from new always had a little play in the steering. Its legal, meaning it passes inspection, but it always annoyed the hell out of me.

I tried to go to unisteer's website to look up the part number (it doesn't exist there by the way, weird). So i looked up a manual Mustang rack which looks identical to the one i have to see the service/install document they have linked there. Typically, when you try to open that link.. Page not found..

I have a feeling my question would have been answered there had i been able to obtain that doc file.

Anyhow, has anyone had any excessive play in the steering which wasnt attributed to bad U-joints or flex anywhere? And if so, is there a way to adjust the manual rack to remove it? Manual racks in the past, on stock, factory cars often had a manual adjustment for slack if i recall.

Thanks, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rev2xs View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering, does the stock manual rack supplied with the gen 1 GTM have any possibility for some steering slack adjustment?

My rack, from new always had a little play in the steering. Its legal, meaning it passes inspection, but it always annoyed the hell out of me.

I tried to go to unisteer's website to look up the part number (it doesn't exist there by the way, weird). So i looked up a manual Mustang rack which looks identical to the one i have to see the service/install document they have linked there. Typically, when you try to open that link.. Page not found..

I have a feeling my question would have been answered there had i been able to obtain that doc file.

Anyhow, has anyone had any excessive play in the steering which wasnt attributed to bad U-joints or flex anywhere? And if so, is there a way to adjust the manual rack to remove it? Manual racks in the past, on stock, factory cars often had a manual adjustment for slack if i recall.

Thanks, Tom
    Small update to this - Just got a bounce back from the sales email at Unisteer, undeliverable. So i have a feeling that is this is the case, Unisteer are not long for this world..

Post Thanks / Like
    I called unisteer a few weeks ago about repair on a damaged rack and the tech support guys answered the phone quick and were very helpful. I would just give them a call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed- give them a call. I just purchased a power R&P kit for my '67 Mustang from them. They're definitely still in business but swamped at the moment as everyone that's "sheltering in place" wants to work on their cars.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're sure that the slack in not in the linkage between the steering wheel and rack?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    You're sure that the slack in not in the linkage between the steering wheel and rack?
    Pretty sure Shane, but i will triple check it

When i checked it last night, i could see the linkage on the rack itself turning left and right with the wheel, with no movement in the front wheels whatsoever. But we're talking like 10mm of movement left and right, so not much. But annoying enough to make the car feel dead when turning the wheel off center when driving.

But i'll have a look once more tonight

Having said that, if it is indeed the rack and not the linkage, is there an adjustment which can be made on the rack to tighten this?

I tried to call Unisteer just now, but as i'm international i either couldn't get through as they are busy, or i just cant make that call from here in Poland lol

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no adjustment in the rack if it is based on their other racks (mine is a mustang rack as well), but it shouldn't have any slack in it. I hit an object on the road with mine and it introduced slack, that is why I called them. They advised that it was not repairable and I just bought a new one (actually insurance bought me a new one). The one place I did have slack was in the coupling between the rack itself and the steering shaft, that coupling uses an allen wrench to tighten, and it is hard to get enough torque on it with a regular allen wrench. I bought a 3/8" socket allen head and was able to get it tight.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used stock Mustang racks in quite a few applications. They are usually the weakest link and I have broken many of them. Many times into two pieces when hitting things. As Ajzride says, if it is truly play within the rack, just bite the bullet and replace it.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the linkage between my steering wheel and the rack has slack enough to notice exactly what you are talking about.

I have found that a 0.005" piece of shim stock slides in there perfectly and firms it up for me. I'm just waiting till I get my seats installed and adjusted to see if I need to move my steering wheel around a bit before I thru drill it and place a bolt and nut holding it all together.