Hi, and thanks for the add.

I'm Richard and live near Myrtle Beach, SC. After much discussion and my DWs' permission to write a check, I decided to build a car. Actually, I decided to build a car when I was a kid, it just took 40 years to get around to it and have the finances to afford it. If it goes well, I'll most likely build another. I've found the second time you do something it's more fun because you avoid what you did wrong last time. LOL.

About me, I'm a Mechanical Engineer by degree and worked as an industrial heavy equipment mechanic in a steel fabrication plant, and an auto body painters assistant to get through school. Then I played Officer and Gentleman (engineering) for a bit with the USAF and eventually went into corporate practice and project management. I retired early a few years back so the time is there and DW (dear wife) says I need a hobby. I have most of the tools I could imagine needing other than a hoist, buck and chassis dolly.

As for a place to build, we're currently building a garage for our motorhome and my wonderful bride is letting me add a 30x40 auto garage onto it, 15' ceiling. The garage will also have a 2-post lift (probably a Champion.) I am told it will be complete the first of September. So I'm thinking of ordering the first of August. But I do have some questions.....

I'll build either a MKIV or the Daytona but I have some nagging questions. Also, being an engineer and prior military officer, I'm rather detail oriented...so thanks in advance for the help and advice I'm sure to ask about. Here are a few of my thoughts prior to buying, and need to make some "ballpark" determinations based on them.

Which car is more fun to build? To drive? I do want it to be street legal, though.
Which sells better if I sell to build another?
What engine? I have an SL (about 500hp) that'll do 4.0 to 60, and I want it to beat that.
Are there some engines that fit better than others?
Are some more reliable than others?
How much is too much HP for these?
Is there a peak HP I should stop at?
Do the cars like one engine over another?
Fuel injected or naturally aspired?
Are the Blueprint Engine/tranny packages a good deal?
Are they well matched?
Is the clutch they use going to hold up with a 500+hp engine?
Does Blueprint make it easy on the buyer if there's an issue? I've read some concerning comments/reviews regarding customer care and rude treatment, but have no idea how much credence to give those comments.
What other engine/tranny suppliers should I consider?
Which car (roadster or coup) has the better fiberglass fit and finish?
What should paint cost assuming I let them do most of it?
I've read where it's not unusual to have a body arrive with gelcoat cracks, damage, etc. Is this typical?
How responsive is FFR? It appears they are nothing but a top notch customer oriented company.

I keep reading about a 50% discount that was offered by FFR a while back, is this an annual sale? Should I wait to buy until the winter/fall?

Thanks again!

I look forward to reading, learning, enjoying and contributing.

RB