Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Rearview Mirror - I'm going to win.

Post Thanks / Like

Rearview Mirror - I'm going to win.

So after my rear view mirror fell off 3 times, I decided to take matters in to my own hands and not the hands of gorilla glue, permatex or 3M.

I had a left over roll bar clamp, some scrap stock and decided to make a physically attached mirror bracket that isn't going ANYWHERE.

I'm going to win. And yes, I painted it.

IMG_7801.jpg

IMG_7800.jpg
    Last edited by Stillwater35; 07-03-2019 at 02:16 PM.

2. Likes FF33rod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very similar to what we did on our Roadster with the hardtop. Job well done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here it is painted and installed!

IMG_7805.jpg

IMG_7804.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That oughta stay on place now..

Where did you get the rollbar clamp? I need one like that for a camera mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool! I like it. Nice way to solve a problem. But, I bet it's going to bounce around a lot. That's a long curve for aluminum bar stock. Because I tend to over-engineer and over-build everything, I would make two simple changes.

Flip the mirror base upside down. That will move the two mounting bolts closer together, and decrease the torque on the end of the arm.

Add a second piece to connect the two bolts together; sort of like a hypotenuse on an isosceles triangle The second piece should be straight or nearly straight.

But I love the idea, and I think I'm going to copy it for another project I'm working on.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are great suggestions. The bar stock is hardened steel. I know because there is a tap permanently broken off in the bar stock. So it should be stronger the aluminum. I'm going to put some bumpy miles on the truck as see what's what. I might just need to see big car shaped objects and a little rattle will be ok.

I got the roll bar clamps because I messed up an order for the 3 point seatbelts. I ordered quantity 1 (1 belt, not a pair). The I ordered quantity 2 (2 belts). Then my first order showed up with 2 seatbelts and my second order appeared with 2 seatbelts. So I have 4 seatbelts. Which means I have 4 clamps.

I wonder if Jay over at FFR knows the supplier and is willing to share that info with you.

Side note- need an extra pair of 3 point seat belts, you all just let me know. SMH.

If you want my 4th clamp - PM me and I'll get it out of my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    That clamp is a split shaft collar, we use those all the time at work on the machines I run. Should be able to get at McMaster-Carr.