FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Open Wheel, No Hood - Effect on Resale?

Post Thanks / Like

Open Wheel, No Hood - Effect on Resale?

Finished my MK4 a year ago and have run out of upgrades, tweaks, and improvements. Really miss the build process and want to get started on the next project soon. But I can't keep 'em all, so the next one will be built from the beginning with the intent of selling it when completed. Have decided that the '35 truck is the one, and I really dig the open wheel/no hood look like shown below. However, am a bit concerned about whether that might limit potential buyers to those looking primarily for a race/show truck. Not looking to make money off this project, and if it goes anything like the MK4 I know I'll be upside down when all is said and done. But trying to avoid choices that will put me in a bad place later.

I suppose the obvious answer is to include hood and fenders as part of the build. Not planning to keep it so if that look doesn't happen to be my personal preference then maybe I shouldn't get hung up on it. But the open wheel truck looks so cool!

Anyway, what do you guys think about actually street driving a truck configured like the picture? Not sure if it's even legal, to be honest. Don't see anything in my state's DMV regulations that mandates fenders, but seems like rocks and scree flying off the tires would be a bit of a hazard, to say the least. Planning to register, license, and title the truck, and can't shake the thought that I won't pass the required safety inspection. Will no fenders/no hood relegate this build to the racetrack or show circuit only? Curious what other's experiences have been.

Thanks in advance.

-Karl

--
    MKIV Roadster #8641
    Complete Kit with IRS, Eaton Detroit Truetrac, 3.55 gears, Wilwood Brakes
    Ford Racing Z427 w/ Pro-M Sequential Port EFI System
    TKO 600 + McLeod Midshifter; Fast Freddie's Electro-Hydraulic power steering
    Miller Customs Bodywork & Paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out my build thread. I'm running on public roads as you describe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will also be running on public roads with no hood and no fenders. As I look around in my town I see some old hotrods running the same ,so even though fenders and a hood will be required for my title inspection ( will remove once I get me title ) I am hopeful that while driving it I will not get hassled !

P.S. I made motorcycle type fenders for the front and making some cheap fenders for the rear that will be reomved

Post Thanks / Like
    Wear eye protection and keep your mouth closed. That rock coming out of the tread, when you get up to speed, is tuff.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.