Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Clutch Quadrant Stop Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch Quadrant Stop Challenge

Thanks in advance for any guidance here. I'm installing the pedal box assembly. I have two questions. The Clutch Quadrant Stop doesn't seem right to me. Following the 'limited' manual instructions, it leaves a lock nut as the stop. Pictures of the top and bottom of the 'stop' bolt attached. I'm sure this is a pretty basic issue, but I am a novice. The second question is; I've read a lot on the Forum about using a hydraulic clutch instead of the cable. Are there any disadvantages with using the cable setup? Trying to keep things simplified for my first build. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    The nut should be sandwiching the small plate. The pic in the instructions is upside down but does show this. Remove the two bolts and tighten the stop bolt to the small plate before installing to the pedal box. Should fix your problem.

Cable vs hydraulic. Yes, hydraulic is smoother. I used the cable supplied by FF and the clutch was very hard to push. First thought, it's a heavy duty clutch. With 1,000 miles or so, the cable broke. I purchased the Ford cable, P/N M-7553-C302 ($60 plus tax) and it's now easy to push. The Ford cable had nylon (or similar looking) bushing ends and the cable moves easier then the original. It's also adjustable at the transmission end.

I lubricated Both with graphite lub prior to installation.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David. Great info and advice. Can't believe that I missed that about the proper placement of the nut. I'm going to stick with cable setup and I'll get the Ford part for longevity and ease. Really appreciate the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    One tip if you are going to use the FFR cable clutch. The bolt that was supplied for this assembly was too short to get the pedal adjusted to align with the brake pedal on my build. I swapped to a longer bolt and got the adjustment I was looking for.

Before:

After:

For what it's worth, in my case the cable clutch feels fine and doesn't take enhanced Lance Armstrong legs to use it. My clutch is what was provided by BluePrint. I also added an adjuster at the entry point where the cable passes through the foot box to make minor adjustments simple.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 07-05-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

5. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Knowing what I know now, I’d likely go hydraulic if I had it to do over again

I will say the new Ford cable feels better and I was able to adjust the pedal to a more comfortable position, but I sense I’ll be doing a full hydraulic conversion in the future. I’m not fully confident the new quadrant design will cure the offset problem. Those with the over the pedal quadrant are certainly in a better position

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Quadrant-Issue

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

7. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, the FF cable can chafe on the sharp edges of the cam at the top of the pedal. File it to round those edges a little.

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 12.43.20 PM.png
    Last edited by GTBradley; 07-05-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

9. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another option is to flip the bolt. You can still adjust it this way to get the clutch and brake pedals aligned.

1F1B24EA-9D36-4756-9C60-D3D5D2C123A7.jpg
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

11. Thanks NA5KAR thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank Papa. I was concerned when I saw how short the bolt was. I'm a little OCD, so I'll want the pedal even. I'll get a longer bolt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John4337 View Post
    Knowing what I know now, I’d likely go hydraulic if I had it to do over again

I will say the new Ford cable feels better and I was able to adjust the pedal to a more comfortable position, but I sense I’ll be doing a full hydraulic conversion in the future. I’m not fully confident the new quadrant design will cure the offset problem. Those with the over the pedal quadrant are certainly in a better position

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Quadrant-Issue

John
    Thanks John. I'm opting for the simplicity of the cable. I'll get the Ford cable this week. Mine is the 'over the pedal' quadrant, so I think it should work just fine. Thanks again.

14. Thanks John4337 thanked for this post
    Likes John4337 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    FYI, the FF cable can chafe on the sharp edges of the cam at the top of the pedal. File it to round those edges a little.

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 12.43.20 PM.png
    Thanks for the heads up. I will do that today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    Another option is to flip the bolt. You can still adjust it this way to get the clutch and brake pedals aligned.

1F1B24EA-9D36-4756-9C60-D3D5D2C123A7.jpg
    Another great option. Thanks for the idea.