Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: wiring help please

Post Thanks / Like

wiring help please

I have an MK4, Ron Francis wiring harness and Russ Thompson turn signal system. I also have the Bosch and Vw relays. Blinkers, hazard lights, running lights, brake lights, tail lights all work fine. I'm trying to get low bream and high beam lights to work. I would like high beams to be engaged by to turn signal stock button. I do not need push to pass. How can I make this work? I'm using this diagram as my example. I'm not using the bottom fog light section. This diagram seemed easier to follow than the others I found on the forum.

Thanks,

Ken

diag.png
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    Take one of the wires from the signal lever button and ground it. Run the other wire to the s terminal on the relay.
    Pressing the button will move the power from hi to low and latch it. A second press, low to hi and latch. Look at your hi beam indicator wire, you may want to put it on the same lug as your hi beam feed off the relay.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go through the RF wiring instructions/diagram booklet that came with the kit. One of the FFR provided toggle switches will do what you want. Its how I have mine hooked up but its too long ago to remember & don't want to steer you wrong.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Your sketch is leaving off the dash turn signal indicator lights. The attached wiring diagram also shows that you'll need 5 Diodes. If you speedo has indicator lights built in, you can leave those two out (the diagram shows a single indicator light, thus diodes would be needed). Also, if you use a DPST switch (reference the Chassis Wiring Harness, page 29), you can eliminate those 2 diodes. (The switch and separate lights will isolate the circuit).

RT Turn Signal Wiring.jpg
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 07-05-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    high_low_relay.jpg
    I used this one

Post Thanks / Like
    Rechecked all my connections again according to the diagram, still did not work. Replaced the VW relay and now IT WORKS! So the circuit to switch between high and low beam in the relay was not functioning.

Thanks guys.
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

7. Thanks weendoggy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kobra01 just noticed your post after putting my very similar post. Im starting to think I have a similar issue with the vw relay

Post Thanks / Like
    My relay, NAPA brand, had a small clip for securing. The relay would not work using this, due to stressing the relay housing. I used some velcro to mount it and all is good.
    The housing on mine snaps on and off. You can watch the latch work. Also be careful installing and removing electrical connectors. They are attached to the latching frame and do not like being bent.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.