BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Fuel leak around Fuel Filler neck

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel leak around Fuel Filler neck

I am in the go kart stage. My brother noticed while I'm doing hard accellerations or hard left turns fuel is dumping out around the filler neck gasket. Like a lot of fuel. I installed the tank and fuel filler neck back in December and it has been manipulated quit a bit, I didn't zip tie it in place or anything. The filler neck does seem a little loose in the gasket. I am quit sure that I followed the instructions correctly. Here are some photos.

I'm thinking maybe I should just replace the gasket. I can't imagine that its gone bad just sitting there. I also doubt I damaged it at install, was pretty simple to install and inspect. Maybe just hanging there and getting manipulated or jostled from time to time has loosened it up?

Thanks for any input.

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,
    When I mounted the body for the final time, I noticed my tank was leaking from the fill pipe gasket. When I took the fill pipe out to inspect, the gasket was torn. Just the fill pipe moving around during my go cart stage damaged the gasket. The Ford OEM part number is #F4ZZ-9072-DA. It is a better gasket than the one that comes with the kit.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

3. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the genuine F4ZZ-9072-DA Ford part. Breeze has them. So does Amazon (of course) plus others. Just hold out for the genuine Ford part. Put a little lube on the filler tube when installing and do something to tie it down in the right position until you get the body on. Otherwise you might get to replace it again.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As has been noted, replace with a Ford part. When you install it, use engine oil as the lube and check to make sure the hold down isn't putting pressure on the fill tube pulling off center.

7. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also did the Ford OEM Gasket.

Something to consider for later on is the alignment of the fill tube and the body. My fill tube when aligned with the body cutout, was twisted and kinked somewhat in the tank and gasket, and was binding. To get the tube to align with the body correctly, and have the fill tube in the tank and gasket with no binding, I lengthened the tube on the tank end. (if I remember right it was about an inch and a half, maybe a bit more.).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

9. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes ,yes, yes, OEM , OEM, OEM !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Also watch for it to be coming out the vent tube - same conditions - acceleration or hard left turn.

The vent tubing needs to route up toward the passenger side as high as you can get it, and then turn down over to the drivers side.

You have to trap it so it the fuel will run back in the tank - none of the vent valves close fast / well enough to keep it in the tank.

Almost every one has to be rearranged in this manner for autocross - "where's all that fuel spilling from on left hand corners???"...

12. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but use a Ford gasket.

Jeff

14. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gasket torn

After reading this thread I checked the FFR gasket on my fill pipe and sure enough it was torn/cut about half way thru. I just finished installing the new Ford gasket. Much better now.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I was part of this club last year on the power tour. Easy fix in a hotel parking lot We could smell gas when we filled up, and crawled under the car to find the gasket torn. We ran the car until it was very low in gas, then did swap in the parking lot that particular evening.

20180613_190423 by D. R., on Flickr

20180613_190430 by D. R., on Flickr

Had to follow up with a retightening of the hose clamps at the first fuel stop after the reinstall.

IMG_4447 by D. R., on Flickr
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering if a Ford gasket would be a good idea. Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    I was wondering if a Ford gasket would be a good idea. Anyone?
    NO, go to Ebay, you can find one for $1.98, direct from china.

19. Likes Avalanche325, Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New Gasket

I figured I would bump this thread with some follow up for any newbies like myself. I purchased the Ford OEM gasket on Amazon for $18. here it is

It is definitely more substantial than the gasket that came with the kit.

I have go carted another 40 miles with the new Ford OEM gasket and no leak!
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread